Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morning Bite

TFO vs. St Croix Mojo

Rate this topic

206 posts in this topic

Alright so I have searched for a review on the new TFO Surf rods that came out a few months ago and I found only one thread that only mentioned it. I got pick one up in a tackle shop but he would not let me cast it. I am also thinking about the Mojo. I am looking at the 10 foot models. TFO is 2-8 (I think it is a tad overrated) and I believe the Mojo is either 2-6 or 3/4-4. Any suggestions or personal opinions are greatly appreciated!

It would help if you know which mojo you were looking at. The 10' mojo is rated 1-4, while the 10' 6" comes in a 3/4-4 and 2-6 model. I personally haven't heard much at all on the tfo surf rods, honestly I wasn't even aware they made surf rods, but the 3/4-4 and 2-6 mojos have gotten great reviews, while the 10' 1-4 hasn't.. I have the 2-6 mojo and it's a great all around rod (I mostly throw 3-4 oz metals with the occasional clam chunk with 3-4 oz of lead). I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more from a rod for what I do.

What style of fishing do you do?

Bait fishing? Chunking? What weights will you be throwing with the rod you are choosing.

Also, do you have a reel you were going to put on this rod or were you going to pick one up later to pair it up with?

I don't think your going to find much feedback on the TFO rods, if indeed they do have a surf lineup. If TFO offers them they need to do a little advertising because they are not being discussed in these forums, at least not yet. Their fly rods get a lot of talk in the fly fishing forum though

I have a couple of the TFO rods and they are excellent.

The fit and finish on there fly rods are first class.

The new surf rods are Gary Loomis designed,

and priced fair. They now have a full line of

conventional and spinner, surf and inshore.

Check out the website.

I was not as clear as I should have been. I am a plugger. I am currently in the process of sending a Lami Surf King back because just like every other Surf King I have seen, the tip eventually snaps off. I am getting a 9' Ron Arra instead. 

Now I want another rod that can handle heavier plugs. I am really starting to enjoy throwing big metal lipped swimmers for example. The Arra can handle it but I want a little more length so it will give me a longer cast for when they are out there. 

As for the reel I will be pairing it with, most likely a VS200 or maybe a 250. Just have to see which one balances out right. I have a back bay set up, jetty set up, and I want two surf set ups in case I need to go light. 

I was not as clear as I should have been. I am a plugger. I am currently in the process of sending a Lami Surf King back because just like every other Surf King I have seen, the tip eventually snaps off. I am getting a 9' Ron Arra instead. 

Now I want another rod that can handle heavier plugs. I am really starting to enjoy throwing big metal lipped swimmers for example. The Arra can handle it but I want a little more length so it will give me a longer cast for when they are out there. 

As for the reel I will be pairing it with, most likely a VS200 or maybe a 250. Just have to see which one balances out right. I have a back bay set up, jetty set up, and I want two surf set ups in case I need to go light. 

If you are a plugger and want to go bigger plugging rod, I would suggest you consider the 11' Mojo 3-8. Don't let the rating throw you off. It's a legitimate 2-5 rod. It's very similar in action to the 10'6" 3/4-4 but has more power. It's a great distance rod or bigger plug stick. I would stick with a 200 over a 250 with it though. The layout likes the 200 better.

you could also consider a longer ARRA like 1205 10 ft think its rated 1-4 my father in law has one with a vs 200 on it & loves it

I have the 10-6 mojo 2-6 and now I plug & jig with the same rod bolth great rods you cant go wrong with either

This is why I love this forum. Everyone is extremely helpful. I am going to the local shop again to see if I can throw some plugs into a lake with the TFO rod and pm the guy who you said used one.

EDIT

I also forgot to mention this earlier. I apologize, I have a nursing test coming up. Anyway, I have heard from a few different people that St. Croix's tend to snap, thus giving them the name St. Snaps. Has anyone heard this or have experience with St. Croix rods exploding?

This is why I love this forum. Everyone is extremely helpful. I am going to the local shop again to see if I can throw some plugs into a lake with the TFO rod and pm the guy who you said used one.

EDIT

I also forgot to mention this earlier. I apologize, I have a nursing test coming up. Anyway, I have heard from a few different people that St. Croix's tend to snap, thus giving them the name St. Snaps. Has anyone heard this or have experience with St. Croix rods exploding?

Absolutely not, they are as good a rod as you can find for the $$$. In fact, i don't think there is a rod in recent history that has received better reviews than this series from experts and newbies alike. The overwhelming majority of failures are user related, manufacturing defects are rare and will usually reveal themselves soon after being used most of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morning Bite View Post

Alright so I have searched for a review on the new TFO Surf rods that came out a few months ago and I found only one thread that only mentioned it. I got pick one up in a tackle shop but he would not let me cast it. I am also thinking about the Mojo. I am looking at the 10 foot models. TFO is 2-8 (I think it is a tad overrated) and I believe the Mojo is either 2-6 or 3/4-4. Any suggestions or personal opinions are greatly appreciated!

I pick one up late last season. Only got to test cast and play with it on a cold and windy night/morning. With a 3 oz popper, It cast further than the St. Croix 3/4-4. I like my 3/4-4 very much it is my main plugging rod. I throw 1-3 oz lures mostly. I pick this TFO because I got a very good year end clearance deal and it also feels very much like the 2-6 Mojo. I will be using it for Jigging in the Canal this comming season.

With the little time that I have with casting this rod, it has the Mod-Fast action similar to the Mojo 2-6.

This TFO is very light. Top section = 3.85oz, bottom section = 7.12 oz. Total weight = 10.97oz.

It is lighter than the Legend 3/4-4 (11.6oz). It comes with a but cap. You can see from the pictures below that the setup between the two are very similar.

The one modification to this rod is I would complete the wrapping on the bottom section of the rod so it won't get bang up on the rocks.

Still searching for a real to pair with it. Can't wait to put a bend on the rod!

IMG_6576tfo.JPGIMG_6584tfo.JPGIMG_6583tfo.JPGIMG_6578tfo.JPG

Thanks for the info on these, they do look very interesting. I am currently thinking between the two rods also. From TFO's website I understand that the surf rods are conventional, but in your pictures they seem to be spinning. Do you guys know if they come in conventional? If not, theres only one choice...

Thanks!