Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buster3479

St. Croix Trade Up Program Change for 2012

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I just got a call from St. Croix, and they're sending out my new toy for this spring (Avid Inshore 7'-6" spinner MH).  In chatting with him, I was informed that St. Croix changed the trade-up program at the beginning of this year, 1/1/12 and it's now 10% depreciation per year, as opposed to $10.

It's not that big a deal when you're sending in a premier, or other cheaper non surf rod, as they are about equivalent in value in $10 and 10%, but I figured I'd mention it to some of you who I'm sure will take advantage of the off season to trade in as a heads up. 

I'm still grateful to them for having the program, and am ecstatic that a new rod is on it's way to me that will fit me better than what I thought was the perfect rod bought last season, then discovered wasn't. 

It's listed on their website under the trade up program as well.

is that 10% of the original purchase price each year or is it 10% off of the depreciated value of the rod after 1 year, and so forth?  Regardless, it's quite a big change in the amount that you can get for your rod.  Also, I purchased my rod last year so does that mean I'm not "grand-fathered" into the $10 off per year and now assume a 10% depreciation model or is this only effective for folks who bought their rod this year, as of 01/01/12?

is that 10% of the original purchase price each year or is it 10% off of the depreciated value of the rod after 1 year, and so forth?  Regardless, it's quite a big change in the amount that you can get for your rod.  Also, I purchased my rod last year so does that mean I'm not "grand-fathered" into the $10 off per year and now assume a 10% depreciation model or is this only effective for folks who bought their rod this year, as of 01/01/12?

I would be willing to bet that nobody will be grandfathered in to keep the old $10 depreciation. In all honestly, they aren't held to anything to even offer the program so they could just stop it at any time they want.

I just reread it off the St. Croix site, and my understanding from it is that it applies to all rods, regardless of when they are bought, and its a flat 10% per year, ie, multiply the # of years old your rod is by 10%, and subtract that from the retail value listed.  This is just based on my reading of the program. 

I'd link the page, but I'm pretty sure it'll just get deleted for linking, you can always type St. Croix trade up program in your favorite search engine, and it should be the first hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster3479 View Post

I just reread it off the St. Croix site, and my understanding from it is that it applies to all rods, regardless of when they are bought, and its a flat 10% per year, ie, multiply the # of years old your rod is by 10%, and subtract that from the retail value listed.  This is just based on my reading of the program. 

I'd link the page, but I'm pretty sure it'll just get deleted for linking, you can always type St. Croix trade up program in your favorite search engine, and it should be the first hit.

Yip, I just read it and the calculation sounds exactly as how you state it.  Say you bought a $230 rod and after 5 years under the original program, you would still have a trade in value of around $180.  Now you're only getting 10%*5yrs = 50%x$230 = $115.  Not bad at all I'm saying but not as good before.  For cheaper based rods(eg $100), the difference is hardly anything after 5 years.  In fact, it would be the same.   It's only for the more expensive rods like the mojo surf where you would see a significant devaluation.   

I don't think $20.00 per year depreciation would be that bad, that's the way i thought they would go. Oh well, the Trade up program will not be nearly the incentive it once was in it's ability to sway someones decision in favor of St.Croix:(:(:thdwn::thdwn::dismay::dismay:

You don't have to be the original owner to participate in the program... They make good money on you even if you are the third owner...They sell you the new rod in retail...They sell it for less to stores...So, figure out if you have a 3 years old mojo that list for $220, and you trade it for $400 legend, you will need to pay them $400 - $160 = $240. They will sell your rod since it is in a good shape for $100...So, they have $340 out of this deal...How much do you think a shop pay them for the same $400 rod? However, as a consumer you benefit from this program since you most likely would not get $160 for your old rod...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koofy Smacker View Post

I would be willing to bet that nobody will be grandfathered in to keep the old $10 depreciation. In all honestly, they aren't held to anything to even offer the program so they could just stop it at any time they want.

It would be more of a "Nice" gesture if they allowed folks who bought before 01/01/12 the $10 depreciation rate, but of course they aren't held to anything when it comes to this program.