Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blind squirl

Plastic worms for striped bass?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Was wondering If any of you sharpies have any luck fishing plastic worms for stripers? It seems like it should work. If so what color seems to work best? and do ya fish it on a jig head?

sluggo is essentially the saltwater (large version) of plastic worms made for saltwater...ive caught stripers on sluggos sized up to 12'' ..remember with bigger fish, comes bigger baits

Yes and yes.

They definitely work. Depending on time of year, I use them from 6" to 9" with success. I stick to pretty standard colors of black, olive/silver and at times also use white.

Jig head works well.

bigger baits work for me in the spring....during the fall i had great success with the 6 and 9 inchers as they imitate the sand eels which were everywhere in nj this fall

Sluggos work all year round. There is something about the action on sluggos that drives striper insane. I have seen sluggos thrown in the surf, back bay, inlets, jigged on boats, and they always produce. One of my favorite lures.

hell yeah they work!  they're meant to catch fish.  not just lmb. 

i use 6" ribbon tailed worms for bucktail trailers.  alone on 1/2oz jigheads.  and weightless and weedless  in the back (or front for that matter). 

as far as color is concerned:

white is right

black

chartruse

yellow

pink

any natural color, arkansas shiner/ baby bass/  olive over white

never tried the tequila sunrise or any shade of purple but im sure they have their place! 

fished like they do in freshwater with a bullet weight and weedless they would probably be killer on fluke!  nice thead.  never thought of that until now.  bring on summer! 

I remember fishing off a party boat back in the 80's as a kid and I put a 8 inch purple worm on my flounder rig and the guys were laughing at me. Before I added the worm I kept getting bites but was not hooking up. When I put the worm on I caught a 6 pound flounder almost immediately. THe drift was a little fast and I think the fish were just missing. I think the worm gave them a better chance to get ahold of the bait. The same guys who were yucking it up laughing were now asking me if I had any extra worms.:D