Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Hollow Core Braid Question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Can hollow core braid be connected to regular braid??? I want a smooth connection from 60 lb Fluorocarbon---- to an 80 lb hollow core top shot---- to a 20 lb fireline main line. Why the hollow core? To lessen the frequency of having to cut the last 10' of fireline after fishing several consecutive fishing nights. I find that doing this prevents mystery break offs due to the constant abrasion(finger to line and guide to line.) involved in spinning reel casting.

That doesn't make sense to me. 80# hollow braid will get nicked and be compromised just as easily as 20# Fireline. Granted, it will fail at a higher rating, but that doesn't mean that you can ignore it.

Now, to answer your question. You can splice a loop in hollow braid and make a bimini loop in the solid braid to connect the two via a loop-to-loop connection. However, this won't give a seamless transition.

Another option is splice a piece of mono/fluoro to the hollow and connect the mono to the solid braid via double uni knots.

You could also try a double uni knot to connect the two braids.

Personally, I would just leave it all alone and cutting out a piece of braid when it gets nicked. Don't over think this stuff. The less connections in your line is what you want.

You can do a uni- splice. But You will be spending ten times the amount of time serving, tying uni knots glueing and trimming than fishing.

Insert your mainline into a daho needle. Enter the hollow core about a foot from the tag end. Push needle about 4 feet into hollow core and exit. Pull about a foot of fireline out of the HC. Tie a 6 turn uni. Then with the HC tag tie another uni. Don't cinch them down super tight. Try to feather them so that the knot rests as close to the entry / exit point as possible and then get them tight.

Splice and serve and glue the floro to the hollow.

After 2 or three outings. Cut off all your hard work and repeat........FAIL...LOL

Not worth the time effort and cost of splicing needles and very expensive 80lb hc.

Remedy.......Spool up with 60lb hc. splice to HC

That way when you start cutting back line. You can seamlessly spice in new 60lb without using the uniknots.

After four years of dealing with the stuff on an almost daily basis. And loving the stuff to death. With the amount of time I have to actually fish. I don't want to deal with the hassle. For offshore purposes its worth it. But the reality of it is when fishing structure and repeated 200 cast sessions. Stick with your original method. As there are no shortcuts to be found with Hollow core. ANd if you do cut corners.....repeated casts will cause serve creep/ failure. A serving Jig, and a bow string serve tool are required to avoid this, and make a low profile serve. Otherwise you're losing the same distance as with using a knotted line to line join.