Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Tuna, braid, premade topshots

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm still mulling over the various options that exist for setting up a braid/topshot tuna reel.

The International I mentioned is a 30 SW. (Shows how much I've used it, I hadda go look at it to see what it was, anyway.) Suppose it takes X yards of JB hollow, and a 150 yard topshot of 80 lb. mono.

Do our offshore regulars make up multiple pre-measured mono topshots in advance of the trip, so as to always be assured - after a mate cuts off an unknown amount of line in a tangle, or you get cut off by another guy's line - that you have a known amount of mono available for use? And, if so, do you use a Bimini or an Australian braid at the end of the topshot for quick attachment? What's the best drill here, anyway?

Yes, I carry about a dozen premade top-shots onboard. they all have a section of braid spliced to one end with a loop. On the reel I have a loop spliced in the end, so use a loop to loop connection. No knots, so no need for bimini or austrian ( from main forum)

It's easiest, and relatively affordable to buy the pre-made topshots. We use Basil Pappas' topshots (BHP Tackle). I think you said you were shopping at Trophy now? John has all Basil's topshots in stock. And if you get your reel spooled up there with some hollow core line, John (or the crew there) can splice a loop connection in the end for you to use the topshot with. Otherwise, I've used spider hitches with solid braid with no issues.

Here's one inspired by the website. Can an Australian braid be tied in braid? The site describes a procedure for tying it in mono; does it work in braid? It's a knot that has frustrated me in the past, I'd like to learn to tie it quite apart from the immediate needs of setting up the 30SW for September's tuna fishing ... which is, I confess, a wee few months away from me right now.

Anyway, if the roads are reasonably free tomorrow of today's snow, I'll stop by Trophy Tackle and pick up a couple of topshots. Nice people .....

The austraillian plait is can be used for what your doing but a bimini is easier. Have Basil spool up your conventional with some JB and a spliced end loop. He'll get ya done right. PM me if you have any questions.