Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shipwreck

Alabama Rig a yak Umbrella Rig substitute?

24 posts in this topic

I fished the smallest umbrella rig I could find this fall and had good results. The only issue was getting it to fit in my used lure bucket so I could carry it into the house to wash it at the end of the day. The alabama rig seems to solve that problem.

Ya, Was thinking TA clips.

How about using Red Fins, shoot some 80 lb with a 1.3 crimp and you have a sand eel killer that has 0 drag.

Was thinking about it for Hybrids on Spruce and maybe troll for muskies in a few lakes.

Ive always been intrigued about using a small umbrella rig. My old laptop has a bookmark on it of a small umbrella rig. Mostly fish the western sound where trolling isn't the most common way to fish but I'm sure it would work.

I need to get to the jersey shore more though.

The Alabama rig has one long center wire. I would put a hook on that and use the others arms to hold hookless teasers. In NJ we will have to cut two hooks off for fishing in the delaware, elsewhere we are ok. Taking off two hooks will leave it balanced I think. Taking off 3 hooks would make it unbalanced.

The Alabama rig has one long center wire. I would put a hook on that and use the others arms to hold hookless teasers. In NJ we will have to cut two hooks off for fishing in the delaware, elsewhere we are ok. Taking off two hooks will leave it balanced I think. Taking off 3 hooks would make it unbalanced.

I'm interesting in knowing if they are illegal to use in PA since it has 5 hooks. We are only allowed 2 I believe and I know we aren't allowed to use Sabiki rigs unless you cut them back to 2 hooks. Think this would be the same principle I think? Most of the bait shops are selling them here but that don't really mean much.

I'm interesting in knowing if they are illegal to use in PA since it has 5 hooks. We are only allowed 2 I believe and I know we aren't allowed to use Sabiki rigs unless you cut them back to 2 hooks. Think this would be the same principle I think? Most of the bait shops are selling them here but that don't really mean much.

they are legal to use with 5 baits. But you can only use 3 hooks. Owner makes a screw lock which works great for holding the extra 2 baits on.

MD's legalese restricts us to two hooks per rod, so we could legally put 2 on an umbrella. But, most don't because of the balance & tangling issues. The center is usually the only hooked lure.

On the Alabama rig, you can do the same as the larger umbrella, with just a single hook, and comply with any state regs. On a 5 leg rig, add your lure to the center leg, and willow blades on the other 4 with small ball bearing swivels. Gives the same effect. Like a large, multi-blade spinnerbait. :D

they are legal to use with 5 baits. But you can only use 3 hooks. Owner makes a screw lock which works great for holding the extra 2 baits on.

I just saw they changed the 2 rods and 2 hooks to 3 rods and 3 hooks.

Gonna have to get another arm to hold the 3rd rod :laugh:

I just saw they changed the 2 rods and 2 hooks to 3 rods and 3 hooks.

Gonna have to get another arm to hold the 3rd rod :laugh:

:p

ive been throwing around my Bama rigs and Im trying to experiment with where to put the hooks. Kinda hard to explain but if you put one hook on the bottom leg, the center, and one side it tends to roll to the side. Im thinking of just using an EWG for the side arm so it doesnt roll out on me. The reason I did the bottom, middle, and one side it because many suspended fish, or even those on the bottom in 10-15 feet of water will come from the bottom of the bait, and 9/10 times it will hit the bottom or rear bait as it follows along. The top and sides are really only there to make it look like a school, they rarely hook the fish.

It would be great battling 2 20lb class bass on that little rig. I'd like to try that. :)

We Kayaker's get caught up in trolling tubes and eels with unbelievable success but lets not overlook big wood for big fish. :)

(photo from bassdozer)

Troller Senior

It would be great battling 2 20lb class bass on that little rig. I'd like to try that. :)

We Kayaker's get caught up in trolling tubes and eels with unbelievable success but lets not overlook big wood for big fish. :)

(photo from bassdozer)

Troller Senior

2 20 lbers wouldnt fight nearly as good as a single 20 lb bass. Same with LMB and SMB. They essentially fight against eachother, and its not like fighting a 40 lb fish. Its better described as pulling in a potato sack equal to both their weight :)