Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kody

Snow Blowers: Tracks vs. Tires with chains

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Do tracks give a significant traction advantage over tires and chains?

I have trouble with traction when using my current snow blower, which has tires but no chains.

And looking at new snow blowers I can't decide whether I should go with the smaller track driven blower, or the get the significantly larger and more powerful wheeled blower for the same price....And add tire chains.

From Lowe's:

2012-01-19_171059.jpg

2012-01-19_171303.jpg

2012-01-19_171127.jpg

2012-01-19_171347.jpg

No contest. Tracks kick ass. I have had a Honda with tracks for 15 years and it just goes. My neighbor with tires and chains fights the machine all the time.

Biggest PITA is moving it around without it running.

I should note that even 16 years ago it cost more than the ones you're showing, and this fall I finally brought it in for its first tune up! Rebuilt the carb, tightened the tracks and new plug for about $50. Other than that, second pull and off it goes!

No contest. Tracks kick ass. I have had a Honda with tracks for 15 years and it just goes. My neighbor with tires and chains fights the machine all the time.

I should note that even 16 years ago it cost more than the ones you're showing, and this fall I finally brought it in for its first tune up! Rebuilt the carb, tightened the tracks and new plug for about $50. Other than that, second pull and off it goes!

Honda's are major money imo. Even compared to Ariens. I've heard nothing but good about both. My Ariens is about 10 years old I think. Runs perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael P View Post

I've been looking into snow blowers extensively and the Honda's seem to be the best machines made, no contest. icon14.gif

I've read lots of reviews just like yours, from people who have had Honda's for 10, 15, and 20+ years, and the damn things are still going strong.

But like you said, they're very pricey.

I'm thinking I might look into a used Honda. cwm40.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokes View Post

Either way...it's a LOT better than shoveling. Ask Simmy.

Steve's still shoveling? cwm27.gif

Can you attach a snowplow to an '82 Volvo? beers.gif

I have used both tracked and wheeled blowers at work. The track one is much better, the only problem is the track would come off once in a while. Either one will work, get the heavier one if you are doing sidewalks. That way when the plows come by and bury the sidewalk you just cleaned :mad: you can dig throw the drifts and not ride over them.

I've been looking into snow blowers extensively and the Honda's seem to be the best machines made, no contest. :th:

I've read lots of reviews just like yours, from people who have had Honda's for 10, 15, and 20+ years, and the damn things are still going strong.

But like you said, they're very pricey.

I'm thinking I might look into a used Honda. :idea:

good luck trying to find one.

I have a 13 hp JD (made by ariens) and it works well. Wheel based. It works fine except when you get the ice hard snow and it kicks up some.

I can't remember if that gear case on that troy built looked small or not when I was at Lowes a while ago. I saw one and it looked real small.

I won an18 year old Honda with the tracks. Still starts on the first pull. Honda's engines are second to none IMO. I'd rather pay the couple of extra hundred now and be paid back for years afterward.

Kick ass machines.

bought my tracked honda in 96, all ive done is changed the oil, still has the original sparkplug. 2 pulls and it starts and thats when its 20 below out!! Got it used and i think i paid 600 bucks for it.

bought my tracked honda in 96, all ive done is changed the oil, still has the original sparkplug. 2 pulls and it starts and thats when its 20 below out!! Got it used and i think i paid 600 bucks for it.

Yep. Incredible machines. Ariens have some good engines on them, but Honda, in my opinion, is a cut above the best.