Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Has anyone tried the redesigned Sportsman Pliers by Sargent ??

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

You guys all know from all my ranting and raving that I've always been a big Sargent fan because of how important it is for a pair of pliers to be able to CUT A HOOK when you're out fishing .

I'm still using a pair of their side cutters that belonged to my grandfather back in the '50s from when he worked at General Cable in Perth Amboy. They're 60+ years old, been on my surf belt or in my plug bag for 30 of those years, and still look and work as good as new. (just ask Curl how well they cut a hook when it's stuck in your hand)

Finally Sargent has come out with a pair specifically for us fishermen, but the question is - Are they up to the standards that they used to be?

Do they rust ? Hinges and spring would be the likely spots

Are they made in China or USA ??

Can they handle cutting a saltwater 3x hook without destroying the blade?

Sportsman Pliers by Sargent

$60

Corrosion-resistant 304 stainless steel handles

Multiple cutting surfaces

Trigger-lock mechanism

Needle-nose jaws

Redesigned to address the demands of today's angler. Corrosion-resistant 304 stainless steel handles stand up to years of tough use. Multiple cutting surfaces provide options for cutting monofilament, superlines and wire. The uniquely-designed trigger-lock mechanism holds the tool in the closed position. Jaws are spring-loaded in the open position. Needle-nose jaws are tapered to reach deeply embedded hooks. Gripping serrations allow for a vicelike grip on a variety of materials. 400-series stainless steel cutting blades. Replacement cutting blade provided. Cushion grips.

304 stainless holds up well in saltwater - you may get a spot or two, but they won't rust to the point that you need to worry. All bets are off if they're made in China or the steel is imported from China.

The cutters are 400 stainless, so they should stay spotless.

No mention of the material used for the jaw or what holds the cutting blades. Either way, I doubt they rust up and freeze on you with very minimal maintenance.

Sudsy The Salt Expo is in Somerset St. Paddy's Day Weekend. Mar. 16, 17 & 18. Sgt. should have samples of its products in one of those booths.

I'll be there on the 17th. If I see them I,ll give you a heads up that night.

Figured it was worth a call.

Spoke to Mick, the operations manager at Sargent (customer service was gone for the day)

The pliers are made in the USA from USA material

We should add this item to the Made in USA thread

I like mine a lot! They cut hooks extremely well, although one of the springs broke on mine after 2 trips. It took a while for Sargent to send me a replacement but eventually it came... So I definitely like the pliers; however, Sargent's customer service could use a little help :)

-Mike

After listing to how well built Manleys were and that sergeants were the original beast. I picked them up yesterday and they worked well at home for about 10min before they started to tighten up. In that time the spring no longer works and the cutters do not fully close or lineup. Called customer service who said they have never had such an issue and that I should exchange them.

Any other reviews of the newer ones?