Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hairy Beast

New Smartphone "Avoid The Ghetto" App Condemned as Discriminatory

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Microsoft is working on an app that will help drivers and pedestrians avoid dangerous parts of town. Current navigation aids don't take crime into account when recommending a route, sometimes bringing you right through the middle of a neighbourhood that you should have avoided at all costs. Once you realize you're there it's almost too late; roll up the windows, lock the doors and floor it!

This project is not going down too well with certain groups.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An in-development Microsoft smart phone app designed to help drivers and pedestrians avoid unsafe neighborhoods is proving controversial among some minority rights groups that find the software potentially discriminatory.

The as-of-yet unnamed product is being referred to as the “Avoid The Ghetto” app by those who are concerned with where it will guide users.

“I’m going to be up in arms about it if it happens,” said Dallas NAACP President Juanita Wallace.

Wallace spent her afternoon at a rally on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and said she felt safe there, but fears the app may project otherwise.

“Can you imagine me not being able to go to MLK Blvd. because my GPS says that’s a dangerous crime area? I can’t even imagine that,” she said.

Michael McNally, who was visiting Dallas Tuesday, said an app shouldn’t have enough power to label a community.

“It may have a high crime problem but have some great cultural, social things you can do there,” McNally said.

Dallas resident Chris Hurst said it sounds like a good safety tool.

“I’d be all for it because you can never be too safe,” he said.

Tommy Jones, who works downtown, said an app like Microsoft’s could hurt a city’s economy.

“From a business standpoint, it could be devastating,” he said. “Especially in the area of tourism.”

As someone who learned the hard way that you never take a left off Storrow Drive in Boston at two a.m. because all roads lead to Roxbury at that time of the morning, I wish I'd had that app in hand. But one has to wonder at the final quote above: what kinds of business will be "devastated" if lost travellers are directed away from the bighted urban hellholes in town?

UPATE: follow the link and read the comments. Best one so far: "You know, if the Griswolds had the “Ghetto App” on the way to Wally World they’d probably still have their hub caps today."

But one has to wonder at the final quote above: what kinds of business will be "devastated" if lost travellers are directed away from the bighted urban hellholes in town?

How I be finding mines new crack dealer ???:D

But one has to wonder at the final quote above: what kinds of business will be "devastated" if lost travellers are directed away from the bighted urban hellholes in town?

How I be finding mines new crack dealer ???:D

Easy: you go to the spots the app tells you to avoid! Sheesh...

Great idea that the market will support despite PC cries from jackasses. My GPS tries routing me through areas that are long overdue for an airstrike all the time. Being familiar with the areas i go to, i avoid them myself and let the GPS reroute accordingly. I wonder how these idiots would feel if their wives or mothers got jacked because of their GPS. I guess being a victim comes with higher moral standing. :dismay:

Landwave was hoping this would keep the crowd's down in the GH Ghetto I'll bet.

no kidding you idiots, thats the whole point.

and next up is the polarized version of that app, one that allows an unsuspecting traveler, perhaps in a camry, to be notified when approaching an affluent neighborhood so that one has time to put down the 40, snuff out the blunt, put on the seatbelt and sit up straight.

“Can you imagine me not being able to go to MLK Blvd. because my GPS says that’s a dangerous crime area? I can’t even imagine that,” she said.

If she thinks the GSP is capable of not allowing her to drive somewhere she's got bigger things to worry about than an app that might keep people out of a ghetto :kook:

TimS

Common sense dictates that Pizza deliveries are taboo in certain neighborhoods. No GPS needed. They have been found out through the murders of kids trying to deliver. . ( Pizza Hut ) etc;. Next comes the racial bullchit !!! Oh well.

Crazy world.:)

Dennis