Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beret

Bucktail weights-keeping it straight

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

This may sound kinda weird to most of you......but how do you keep your bucktails organized,sorted,whatever by weight. There not marked.....wish they were. I am trying to concentrate on learning how and fishing them more.....caught my first striper on a bucktail just three weeks ago,but keeping them organized by size.....not so easy. For example, the Andrus. I have the white in 3/4,1/2,1,1 1/2 oz......all organized in my Plano box......but once I start fishing,they never get back in the right spot. Yea, I understand one looks bigger,but not always that discernable.....especially at nite when I am not in the right part of the water column with the 1/2 oz and I want to move to a 3/4 oz bucktail. I do have the AquaSkinz bucktail holder on my belt and I guess if I did a better job in putting them back in order, I would not have this question.......just curious how some of you other guys manage you bucktails....or mark them for easy identification......thanks.

It's a chronic problem and I haven't found the right way to carry different weights of bucktails or sizes of tins either. Nobody makes a bucktail pouch with six rows of differently sized pockets. Nobody makes such a pouch for different tins. A standard bag with a small heavyweight plastic box, or perhaps a couple of boxes, is as good as I can manage.

My AS bag has slots to hold bucktails in the front pocket. I took a silver sharpie and labled the pockets .5, .75, 1, 1.25, 1.5 and 2. Its far from perfect but works for me. Writing didn't rub off at all and I wetsuit quite a bit.

I load the slots on the front of my bag from light to heavy, one side to the other What weight it starts from depends on conditions. The hook sizes are different in the Andrus line, so it's fairly easy to tell one from another. Because the slots on The Surfcaster bag I use are on the outside and easy to access, it's never been a problem for me to keep them in order.

I like that method used by borntafish^^^^^, right now all I do is write as small as possible with a black Sharpie on top of the head of the hightails either 3/4 , 1, 1.5 or whatever

On any bag with a row of same-size slot pockets in front, little bucktails fall to the bottom and are hard to get out with your fingers. You have to assume November fingers, half-frozen, in discussing a method of carrying them separated and available on the beach.

What's needed in a bag is two or three sizes of pockets on the front so that the ends of different size bucktails are always accessible to your fingertips.

beret,

Good question and I agree in the heat of battle or in the dark it can be very difficult to size your BT's. Now here is how I get around the problem and it involves some compromises.

All my equal ounce and half ounce increments BT I have in Andros Jetty caster which have bullet shaped heads and more bucktail and their smilin Jim version. So my bag looks like this.

Jetty Caster 1/2 oz 1 oz 1.5 oz 2oz

Smilin Jim 3/4 oz 11/4 oz.

I used to mark them but the heads take a bashing and marks get erazed.

Yep I select on the basis of indentification. I don't go a lot on how a Smilin Jim Fishes vereses a jeety caster. What I find more important is the weight and how that effects the fall rate and how well the BT can be hopped. Many a day a 11/4 will totally outfish a 1.5oz. Most Guys if they were honest would struggle to differentuate between a 11/4 Smilin Jim and the 1.5 oz version.

Hope this helps.

Mike

This thread pinches a nerve in me as i' ve tried hopelessly to organize my jigs. I can usually recognize them but sometimes i have to think about it as i paw through boxes and bags of crap in the back of my truck, what weight do i need and the trailer. I really don't think there is a good solution as teh conditions are always changing and sometimes the fish key in one one thing. Sometimes a mess of gear is easier to paw through than stuff neatly organized in boxes.

One thing you can do to discern ur jigs so the mark never comes off is modify the mold with a tiny drill bit. Drill one depression for 1 oz, 2 holes for 2 oz, so on and so forth. Or use your own means of measuring one hole from two to three. This takes the guess work out of fishing. It beats using a sharpie marker which will eventually fade when you throw the jig a few times.

Mike

The 1 1/4 oz Andrus Rip Splitter (smilin Jim) usually out weights the 1 1/2 oz jetty caster. I weighted a few and the jetty casters are usually within about a tenth of an ounce of labeled weight. The Rip Splitters are way over. The ounce is around 1.2 oz and the 1 1/4 are usually around 1.6 oz. I fish both and think they both work well. The jetty caster "floating" alittle better and the Rip Splitter casting better and has a smaller profile.

Cheers

Tom