Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

OK libs - defend this: Obama: More jobs in jobless benefits than Keystone

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Obama: More jobs in jobless benefits than Keystone

President Obama said that he will delay his vacation and keep Congress in session until the passage of his desired payroll tax cut and unemployment benefits extension -- two proposals that Obama said would create more jobs than the Keystone XL pipeline that his administration recently delayed.

"I would not ask anyone to do something I'm not willing to do myself," Obama said when asked if he would go on vacation while keeping Congress in Washington D.C. "We are going to stay here as long as it takes [to get unemployment extended and pass the payroll tax cut]."

As Obama called for passage of those bills, he also responded to a recent Republican push to require him to approve the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline from Canada. "However many jobs might be generated by a Keystone pipeline," he said, "they're going to be a lot fewer than the jobs that are created by extending the payroll tax cut and extending unemployment insurance."

:squid:

He's all yours - one termer

I frankly do not know enough about the project(unlike the experts we seem to have here that are experts on every subject) to know if it was something that should go forward-the irony is people always say obama caves to the unions and the unions were in favor of this project so do the unions still have him in their pocket?

I frankly do not know enough about the project(unlike the experts we seem to have here that are experts on every subject) to know if it was something that should go forward-the irony is people always say obama caves to the unions and the unions were in favor of this project so do the unions still have him in their pocket?

Obama owns the Union votes, end of that story. Now he owns the Ecotard votes,end of that story. These people are despicable and I fully support their eradication.

Obama owns the Union votes, end of that story. Now he owns the Ecotard votes,end of that story. These people are despicable and I fully support their eradication.

It would seem to me if he owns any vote it would be the "Ecotards" since I can't see them voting for any Republican Canidate.

I could see a Union vote swinging towards the Repubs. if they truly have a plan for Jobs, we just haven't seen one yet.

Oh and the Payroll tax cut would technically put more money into the economy then the Keystone Pipeline.

Pipeline costs 7,000,000,000 over 2 years

Payroll tax cut ,figure average person makes 50k that means an additional $1000 a year take home with tax cut, 150,000,000 employed people in US

150,000,000,000 additional money added to Economy each year.

Some people may argue that the money would have been spent by the Government anyhow but who would you rather have spend it, You or the Government.

As far as the unemployment piece goes I'm not thrilled with paying unemployment if there are jobs available, at the same time if I'm in a struggling small business and someone wants to purchase my products or services I'm not going to ask whether he got the money from unemployment or not I'm taking the cash.

In some hard hit areas the only way small businesses are surviving is that thier customers have unemployment checks to fall back on, and I'm not talking about crackheads, dopers and the like.

real simple - anyone want it?.

Obama: "they're going to be a lot fewer than the jobs that are created by extending the payroll tax cut and extending unemployment insurance."

^^^

Rubbereel and I are somewhat dubious about claims of "jobs that are created" as a result of extended unemployment insurance benefits.

19 days ago lichum:

Politicians say:

Extending unemploment benefits stimulates the economy.

Unemployment checks create jobs.

Rubbereel: Are these statements true?

Don't the unemployed spend their unemployment insurance benefits mostly on staples and necessities?

Isn't the demand for staples and necessities relatively inelastic?

If that's the case, those who produce, transport, and sell staples/necessities would be relatively constant in number.

Rubbereel: Doesn't the spending of unemployment benefits on staples/necessities do more to maintain the employment rate rather than increase it by stimulating the creation of new jobs?

2 weeks, 4 days ago Rubbereel:

I'm not an economist, but I would say no, it doesn't stimulate the economy long term.

The question here is stimulates the economy from what? What's the point of reference?

I'd say politicians making such claims are trolling for votes and altering reality. There's much altering reality going on in politics. Call it the economy of politics. As long as people are buying the altered reality, politicians will continue to produce it for re/election. Society's ethical compass does not points north, but that's what the politicians use to navigate.

Imho, the strongest economy possible is when people are creating something, bringing it to market for profit and then, trading their earnings & profit for other goods or services.

The unemployment benefits cover only half of this equation. They're not fully vested in the Gross Domestic Product, which is a large part of establishing the strength of an economy.

Lichum, you ask if unemployment benefits maintain the economy? Ultimately, no. It's a bit like a car. Eventually, it wears out. Eventually, these monies would be better spent investing for profit elsewhere.

Short term, it provides for a slower lessening of the economy, but I don't believe it increases or creates new jobs.

Yeah, the whole thing falls when trade stops ... for whatever reason.