Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

New York Moves to Deploy Body Scanners on Street in Search for Guns

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly told CBS in New York his department is looking to deploy Terahertz Imaging Detection scanners on the street in the war on “illegal guns.”

Kelly said the scanners would be used in “reasonably suspicious circumstances” and intended to cut down on the number of stop-and-frisks on the street. So called stop-and-frisks are considered a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

New York City is largely a Second Amendment free zone. The city’s mayor, Michael Bloomberg, has said that citizens “acting outside of any governmental military effort” should not be allowed to protect themselves with firearms.

“The NYPD and Department of Defense are working together testing Terahertz Imaging Detection, a new way to get concealed illegal weapons off the streets,” CBS reports. Terahertz Imaging Detection measures energy radiating from the body up to 16 feet away and can detect anything blocking it.

The ACLU and civil libertarians oppose the effort to use the technology on the street. “It’s worrisome. It implicates privacy, the right to walk down the street without being subjected to a virtual pat-down by the Police Department when you’re doing nothing wrong,” the NYCLU’s Donna Lieberman said.

In addition to violating the Fourth Amendment, the proposed technology would subject citizens to a documented health risk – the destruction of DNA.:shock:

Studies reveal that THz waves “unzip double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication,” according to MIT’s Technology Review.

For more information, see this paper posted at the Cornell University Library.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.5294

If we are to believe CBS, most residents either are not concerned about the privacy aspects of the technology or think it is a reasonable trade-off to stop gun crime and terrorism.

CBS does not mention the ability of THz to destroy DNA. If they did, no doubt most people interviewed would oppose the new technology.

the yellow one looks sad...

Bloomberg is the Wyle E Coyote to the Roadrunner 2nd Amendment (and now the 4th Amendment)

If you noticed - someone woke-up the ACLU in this instance... even though the ACLU doesn't believe the right of self defense to be a civil liberty... (yet)

The ACLU should be illegal. It's nothing but a communist plot.

"The ACLU and civil libertarians oppose the effort to use the technology on the street. “It’s worrisome. It implicates privacy, the right to walk down the street without being subjected to a virtual pat-down by the Police Department when you’re doing nothing wrong,” the NYCLU’s Donna Lieberman said."

hmmm

The ACLU should be illegal. It's nothing but a communist plot.

"The ACLU and civil libertarians oppose the effort to use the technology on the street. “It’s worrisome. It implicates privacy, the right to walk down the street without being subjected to a virtual pat-down by the Police Department when you’re doing nothing wrong,” the NYCLU’s Donna Lieberman said."

hmmm

yup - you can hoot an holler about your 2nd Amendment Rights and ACLU will say "who? what?"

YOu say 1st, 4th or 5th... ACLU is on your doorstep with free coffee mug.

this crap is the logical progression of those who repeatedly said things like

"9-11 changed everything "

"if you don't have anything to hide, then whats the problem, feel free to monitor all my phone calls if it helps catch terrorists"

Hey DUI checkpoints are ok, right... I mean driving is a priviledge.

I vote to have everyone carry a gun (citizens & non felanious individuals). Of course that would leave out most of our politicians & that's where the problem lies.

Anyone ever figure out why an AK is illegal and not an AR (in CT)? Moronic politicians of course.

MG

this crap is the logical progression of those who repeatedly said things like

"9-11 changed everything "

"if you don't have anything to hide, then whats the problem, feel free to monitor all my phone calls if it helps catch terrorists"

Hey DUI checkpoints are ok, right... I mean driving is a priviledge.

None of that helped that's for sure...but this mentatlity has been going on for far longer than that.

Since there are virtually no legal concealed weapons, or 'civilian' CCW permits in NYC, (except for Leo's and such), I assume this would fir the most part grab gun toting, gang banging felons more than anyone else. I don't condone the use of the technology; I'm just sayin'. Still, the Nanny State marches on, What's next, detecting obese people who have just had a Big Mac?. :(

If you can 'sniff' out handguns, maybe NYC can next sniff out illegal drugs. Nah; that would definitely be an infringement. :rolleyes: