Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motorace

Fishing Bermuda

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

any body been to Bermuda? how is the island in general, and any tips for fishing, from shore to offshore?. probably going to go there for my honeymoon in september. fishing was her idea:)

I was there in March with my wife and another couple we both celebrated our 30th wedding anniversaries. It a very nice island we stayed at the REEFS RESORT I would highly recommend it. We were there a little early in the season the ocean temperature was on the cold side. The resort was beautiful, the beer was cold and the food was excellent. I didn't fish when we were there. I would be careful about going in September as it is hurricane season that time of year. You may want to consider Aruba as they aren't in the hurricane belt.

GOOD LUCK

I was there in March with my wife and another couple we both celebrated our 30th wedding anniversaries. It a very nice island we stayed at the REEFS RESORT I would highly recommend it. We were there a little early in the season the ocean temperature was on the cold side. The resort was beautiful, the beer was cold and the food was excellent. I didn't fish when we were there. I would be careful about going in September as it is hurricane season that time of year. You may want to consider Aruba as they aren't in the hurricane belt.

GOOD LUCK

Unlike Aruba, you can wander the island and not sit in some gated resort.

Also Aruba is awful that time of year.

I have been to Bermuda a bunch of times. The fishing from shore has much to be desired, but you can catch stuff. I have caught Jacks, Bermuda chubs (which pull like hell!), parrotfish, doctorfish, pompano, sharks, a hogfish and a whole bunch of other things that belong in fish tanks :)

Offshore I have caught tuna (blackfin and yellowfin), wahoo, rainbow runners, tunny and a giant tiger shark. We have had blue marlin up in the spread and even take a few shots at lures in the spread but never put the hook in one there.

If you have her blessing to go offshore it's one of your best shots on earth for a grander marlin, and more often than not you can save the day with tuna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid View Post

Unlike Aruba, you can wander the island and not sit in some gated resort.

Also Aruba is awful that time of year.

Have you been to Aruba?  It is probably the safest Carribean Island and has arguably the most beautiful beaches.  I have not seen any gated resorts in Aruba.  You must be confusing it with Mexico.  I will agree with you that September is very hot in Aruba. 

I posted this a few months ago to an inquiry in the Fly forum- Hope it helps..

~Was there in June for a few days.. spectacular place.. great people and very fishing friendly.. meaning no license required, and easy, mostly free access to beaches/flats .While I was with the family, I only got to do a little fishing..It turned into more of a scouting mission... I had some spinning tackle and found plenty of targets.. Lots of critters swimming around the docks.. tough to fool on artificials..mostly reef-type species , but False albacore will occasionally provide shots off the piers... I rented a boat one day to explore, and found some sweet flats where i saw some really nice Bonefish and some huge barracuda.. but my success was limited to a couple hookups on bones, and a few cuda on the jigs/metals.. I'll be better prepared next time.. If I had only a couple days to spend, I would concentrate on the Somerset/ Long Bay area.. Beautiful flats, dotted with turtle grass, with some scattered reef outcroppings that i found teeming with life when i snorkeled.. As the tide came up, pods of bonefish where constantly moving through ... never saw another angler either.. There are plenty of guides/charters to be had.. apparently the marlin/offshore fishing can be hot at times.. although I did not avail myself..preferring to rent a boat and explore on my own.. maybe next time..I will certainly be going back.. Have a great trip!