Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeyj

Opinions please on where to go.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have to go to either Williamsburg VA in mid-late March or out to Cincinnati OH in early-mid April. What would you chose and why? I never fished the Ohio river and those BIG cats look like fun. But this is right in the middle of Spring rock season. Im leaning towards Ohio unless im convinced otherwise. Suggestions and experiences during those time periods in those areas? Please share.

I live right outside of Williamsburg. Typical mid March fishing is slow depending on water temps. There should be some schoolies around to play with on lures but if water temps are between 50-55 I gear up for the early run of croakers, you can get some real nice ones early in the year. Striper season does not open until May 1st. Never been to OH to fish so got no idea.

mikeyj, I had to spend 17 weeks in Toledo and consider OH as a fishermen's H---. You could not pay me to go back to OH. Their big thing was walleyes in a moving mud flow they called a river. They were lined up shoulder to shoulder like a east coast trout opening day. I would take about any place that had salt water over OH any day of the week. If I lived in OH I'd be a golfer............. and sell all my fishing gear unless I was up near the northern OH/PA border. On the Toledo side it was just plain depressing.

Jim,

You make OH sound so lovely! im leaning towards Williamsburg now. If i am gonna try to fish then i prefer to fish with my own equipment and flying with fishing rods is a pain in the *ss. I'll drive down to VA.

I can't talk directly about Cincinati but I would have to have a gun to my head to go to Toledo to fish or for that matter to just go back there. It was a very long 17 weeks and I got to come back here for a 3 day weekend after every two weeks.

I think you can tell I found nothing of interest out in Toledo huh?

I did a lot of traveling my last 3 years of work before I retired. I was sent to just about every plant we had on special assignments. Toronto was the best location for fishing I went to (fact is I really liked it up there for nearly everything) . Toledo was the worst location I went to. Even the locals call it the armpit of America.

We have pay lakes here that have some monsters. Been here 3 yrs and never fished the river. They use surf rods in these tiny ponds. Funny to see but when you hook a 40 lber you understand why the big rods. Poor things been caught so many times they get very shy and hard to get a hit but when they do decide bite in middle of night its a lot of fun. BTW Flatheads only hit live bait.

I like Cedar Lake the best.