BobNoFish

Bourdain makes a good point...

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Anthony Bourdain Takes Issue With Paula Deen’s Announcement

by Chris Pursell | January 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM | Celebrities, General

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2835450/width/460/height/307]

Anthony Bourdain (Travel Channel)

Tuesday’s confirmation that Food Network staple Paula Deen had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only seemed to feed her critics who have long condemned her cooking as harmful to your health.

Deen admitted on “Today” that she was not only suffering from the affliction but but would serve as the spokesperson for a program designed to help people suffering from the disease, and the company who hired her, Novo Nordisk, also makes the diabetes drug Victoza which is part of the program.

It didn’t take long before Anthony Bourdain, who previously said in a TV Guide interview last year that that Deen’s often fat-filled food made her “the worst, most dangerous person” on the Food Network, took to Twitter to send a not-so-veiled response Deen’s way about her endorsement deal after promoting unhealthy food.

“Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later,” he wrote.

Bourdain also told Eater.com that he didn’t appreciate that she knew she had the illness while also taping the show. “When your signature dish is hamburger in between a doughnut, and you’ve been cheerfully selling this stuff knowing all along that you’ve got Type 2 diabetes, it’s in bad taste if nothing else,” he told the site.

For Deen’s part, she will now focus on making her recipes healthier, and is looking to incorporate the new flavors into her show. To demonstrate her new-found respect for healthy foot, she promptly cooked up a low-fat lasagna on “Today.”

“I wanted to bring something to the table when I came forward,” she said on the show. “I’ve always been one to think that I bring hope.”

Bourdain should shut up.

I don't pay one second of attention to what he say, or she says, or either of them do.

They are cooks on a TV show. That's it.

Their issues are their own. Doesn't make a difference in my life one way or the other.

He makes a  point by peeing on the same TV market that made him a gainfully employed, (probably) well off man.

A market that people like Deen helped create.

He has a point, but its not one for public consumption, IMO.

Someone acting hypocritically to make money -- stop the presses. I can't believe it.

Tony -- God love him -- makes money because his shtick is telling it straight, consequences be damned. But if he lost his TV gig, and had to become a self-loathing, hypocritical shill or go back to working double shifts at Les Halles, my bet would be that he'd become a shill. It's human nature. That's not to say that Paula Deen should be immune from criticism -- let that fat pig have it, by all means -- only that we should recognize that there's some of what she did in all of us.

Bourdain who? Deen will be raking in the fried dough because of her illness as Bourdain slips into the depths of obscurity. Her story is made for tv...a fat pig who will chew off her own leg gets diagnosed with a fatal disease cooking her way to overcome...she's the new Kristie Ally of TVFN.

Bourdain should shut up.

I don't pay one second of attention to what he say, or she says, or either of them do.

They are cooks on a TV show. That's it.

Their issues are their own. Doesn't make a difference in my life one way or the other.

why should he shut up?

he hasn't been a cook for years an never hosted a cooking show - in fact he mocks them.

he writes about the restaurant industry and his shows are are more about culture and society than they are about recipes.

He takes on issues like the the processed food industry, illegal immigrants dominating the food service world, and even on how conflicts in Beirut impacted it's culture. He does this by talking about it through a variety of media.

And he does this is in a entertaining and cerebral way.

Why should he shut up? He is an entertainer and this is his space?

What he said ^

Just last night watched him on a special "No Reservations" that was aired years ago, and was about when he was still a chef and was writing his first book and even before he did "A Cook's Tour" on TVFN. While I have seen it before, it was highly entertaining to watch it again.

And he didn't say "illegal immigrants", he just pointed out that most of the cooking, even in the best restaurants, is done by Mexicans and Ecuadorians......and further added that they can cook circles around most formally trained chefs............and he saw nothing wrong with that. :th:

Someone acting hypocritically to make money -- stop the presses. I can't believe it.

Tony -- God love him -- makes money because his shtick is telling it straight, consequences be damned. But if he lost his TV gig, and had to become a self-loathing, hypocritical shill or go back to working double shifts at Les Halles, my bet would be that he'd become a shill. It's human nature. That's not to say that Paula Deen should be immune from criticism -- let that fat pig have it, by all means -- only that we should recognize that there's some of what she did in all of us.

steve, he can't say they are illegal, he hired many of them

I don't care if he shuts up or not. That's why he should shut up. Because nobody cares what he has to say. His feelings on the issue are irrelevant.

he's a wealthy man because his audience cares

you might not care, but you are several million dollars wrong about no one caring what he has to say.

A drunk, drug addict talking smack (pun intended) about a butter overeating diabetic. Doesn't this start with a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar?

lol

i was thinking the same stuff - as for the heroin stuff - at least he is open about it when it's topical,

and he gave up smoking

but I don't think there is any way you can explain off the amount of drinking on that show as editing.