Beaching vs Lipping vs Netting

Rate this topic

SteppinOnFlounder

try to lip them in the very shallow water as they come in, beaching rips the protective slime off a fish, I don't lip gaff, I do use a net on the boat but have found great success with the rubberized landing nets. Beaching is often the only option when waves grow to be as little as three feet though. But with all methods its a quick unhook a look or a photo and right back in the drink.

"It is an art performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock"

Depends on where I'm fishing and what I'm throwing.

Jetty usually just pull smalls up, leader the meds and gaff large.

Wading grab leader then grab the fish.

Sand beach- beach it.

I usually don't like to lip a fish with two or three sets of trebles in them but with a bucktail or eel it's a different story.

I try to release all in the wash or while on a sand bar. Obviously this is subject to change depending on size and/or if deeply hooked with a treble.Then bringing a fish just out of the wash may be necessary. All my poles are marked for minimum keeper length and pretty easy to judge size and my intent quickly. Can never understand to this day why some folks find it necessary to unhook.....carry the fish back to their truck to measure.....then walk back to the surf only to release the fish.

I try to lip the stripers and use my "FishGripper"( think that's what their called) for the gators. I will also use it on stripers when hooks are deeply imbeded.

If I'm going to keep it, I just gaff it and go. If I am going to let it go, I'll climb down the rocks and just "fin-agle" it as best I can with no tools and do the release as quickly and gently as possible and/or as conditions will allow.

If the waves are huge and I am climbing down the rocks, frankly, my goal is to get home to my family at the end of every trip so I will lip gaff em, move only as high as I need to to safely avoid the snot and THEN dehook the fish and release it.

I believe in being as gentle as I can with the fish but I'm am certainly not going to say I risk my life to do everything textbook. When fishing harsh areas (which I normally do), my wife and kids need me in one piece more than I need to worry about a stressed striper.

I do the best I can for the fish without risking my life more than necessary.

I did not vote because what I do depends on the ocean, not on a book.

Anger is no more a requirement of killing,
than fear is a requirement of dying.

Today I will do what others won't so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tman1 View Post

Depends on where I'm fishing and what I'm throwing.

Jetty usually just pull smalls up, leader the meds and gaff large.

Wading grab leader then grab the fish.

Sand beach- beach it.

I usually don't like to lip a fish with two or three sets of trebles in them but with a bucktail or eel it's a different story.

I AGREE 100 PERCENT WITH THIS MAN