Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1Angler

Thoughts on Baitcasing Reels.... Looking to upgrade, in need of advice

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been looking into buying a new baitcasting reel and can't seem to decide which would work best for what I do. I am looking to get a round reel for jigging lures up to 3oz and spot live lining, and also looking for a low profile reel for casting both bucktails up to 2.5oz and top water lures... So far I came accross the abu garcia record 61 hc and for the low profile the abu garcia revo toro winch 61. I find a lot of mixed reviews on both items. Some can't live without them and others have had problems with both reels since day one and don't recommend them. Maybe some of you guys can recommend some good reel(s) for me to buy... Open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

I actually purchased the revo toro before reading a lot of the bad reviews. Upon receipt of the reel, I returned it unopened & purchased a curado 301E. As mentioned, it's a great reel if you plan to mix jigging & casting.

for low profile, Curado 300 series is awesome. For standard bait caster size, I've got lots of Abus and used 'em for years, but I prefer the Calcuttas.

Without fishing them first, you should do a search in the main forum for input (tons of posts on these reels) and then go out and get 'em in your hands... see if you like one more.

just my 2 cents