Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gfrancica

GoPro

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I've been looking at the gopro because it's waterproof, can anyone who has one tell me how you like it "pros n cons" also does it record sound when in the waterproof housing. I found some good videos on utube, search "GoPro TrollPro Striper Fishing "  there are some good striper videos.

Thanks Joe

its a cool camera, but it has a lot of drawbacks. as stated above, low light is bad, sound is bad. it also has a very wide angle fixed lens, which is good for some stuff, bad for others.

it really depends on what you're using it for. if you're making fishing videos and wearing it on your head or chest, stuff that happens far away will not be seen that great because of the super wide angle lens. if you're mounting it to a boat, it's kinda cool because you can fit the entire boat in the scene. i mounted mine on my outboard and let it film while i fished. it was kinda cool.

it's better for other stuff like first person action. skiing, tubing, sleigh riding, surfing, motorcross, etc. we moutned on my brother RC car a few weeks ago and it was pretty awesome.

as said..awful in low light. pics aren't the best, but video is good and offers a cool angle. i bought one for use in my kayak and the one video i took i like. however, it doesn't really serve much purpose in the surf i feel.

Gadget! Video Camera & The Audio Suxs!

I feel the same way Ron. The cool thing is the mounting options but for the price I think I can come up with something for my waterproof compact. My Panasonic also shoots in HD and I has a view finder.

Hello Marine ! My buddy actually uses a Lumix in a waterproof case & gets some pretty cool HD results for the price.   Or stick with names like sony, nikon canon.  Sony SR5 or 610 Are good I was told to get going..? But unproven personally. I'm out of my element, cause I;m always the guy near the camera not filming. But I saw your emblem and had to try to add something.

Semper Fi.

Paddyboy

as said..awful in low light. pics aren't the best, but video is good and offers a cool angle. i bought one for use in my kayak and the one video i took i like. however, it doesn't really serve much purpose in the surf i feel.

I thought the pictures that mine took were great. Which one do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strike King View Post

I think he meant Not great IN LOW light conditions ?   Like shooting at dusk and dawn ? no? yea?  I gotta new free kodak under water palm waterproof thing that shoots well.  But I LOVE LUMIX... Get the scuba case they build more a good HD lumix if your looking for cheap & quality. I never regret have my lumix along with nikon. 

You don;t always want to bring your good camera out... You know how that is. If it;s too nice ya won't cary it often unless you do it for a living. 

i have the hd hero. not the original, but not the new one. idk, unless it was a REALLY well lit shot, like bright sunlight, and i held the camera super super still...it wasn't the best

i got the new hero and it work alright, as stated above by the others, not what you are looking for if u want night shots, and a downside for me was no view finder, its a hit or miss, i no longer use it for fishing only for my paintball trips/games let us know what you decide on

goodluck

Hey, new guy here (first post actually) and I think I might be able to contribute some information here…

I have owned both the HD Hero and the HD Hero 2 from GoPro… and I loved both*. The * here will be explained below.

First, the wide angle lens of the camera is something you are going to both love and hate. The best part about it is the amount of "action" it captures. In addition to filming my fishing adventures, I also use it to film diving, skiing, biking, and a few other sports I frequent. The wide angle of the lens captures more (in wide mode) than I ever expect it to. I can't explain the amount of times I have been filming and figured, "There is no way I got that over there on the camera," and then when I play it at home, its on there… On the negative side, you get some pretty extreme fish-eye distortion in the foreground, which might not be ideal when filming the close-ups on a boat or yak.

Second, the sharpness of both cameras is quite remarkable for the size of the package. The image is certainly sharper in the Hero 2, but I want to send the PSA that if you are even slightly budget conscious, the original HD Hero (that used to be $299 and is currently hovering under the $200 mark) is more than likely the best deal on the market for a waterproof, near-professional quality POV camera. If you are going to use the camera for stills, the sharpness gain in the Hero 2 is most recognizable there.

Third, and by far the weakest point of this camera, is the audio. If you use the waterproof housing, the audio IS recorded, just not clearly (or at great distances.) Some people have modified the skeleton housing with things like Gore-Tex and the like to improve audio quality. That solution will work for the most part as long as you aren't submerging the housing for a long period of time. The OEM waterproof housing is beefed up to stay waterproof down to 180 ft, you probably don't need that.

Lastly, the Hero 2 does significantly better in low light and with white balance than the Hero 1. You can see multiple videos and reviews that confirm this as a fact, and your intended use of the camera might not need to take this into account, but be forewarned that this is a difference.

Like I said before, I love my camera… I have spent a small fortune on the camera when the accessories are added in. I suggest you read all the reviews out there regarding the camera and take all the potential costs into effect, but in my opinion, you can't do better in this product category than the GoPro...

Let me know if you have any more questions or want objective samples of video/audio/stills, etc...

Another add-on to my comments:

The gopro has a convex lens on it. This angle causes focus issues under water. There are aftermarket housings and housing modifications available to remedy that issue, but they are pretty expensive (see a pattern here?) I went with the Blurfix from snake river prototyping ($79) and I think it is the most professional looking solution out there. I heard rumors that GoPro themselves are on the cusp of releasing their own at a lower price point. I guess they just demo'd it at a convention recently... Maybe it will come out in Feb when the wifi accessory stuff comes out.

If you plan on doing any under water filming (of fish and the like) I would suggest researching this issue on the web as well.