Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
isleomaniac

Sampson's Narrows ?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Trying to figure out where this old place name might be located on Popponesett bay? I have an 1875 map but did not find it there. This is where they used to catch salters as described in Smith's History of Fishes 1833.

Dumb question but doesn't it separate Sampon's Island from the shore? Connects East and West Cotuit bays?

That is also what I suspect.

More specifically, I'd pin point it as that 1/8th mile width of water flanked by Cotuit on the west, and Sampson Island on the east.

My guess would be at the head of Poppy bay where the santuit river passes under school street. The marshy area just to the north was formerly known as Sampsons Mill (1800 map of the area) and one of the streets in the neigborhood is call Narrows lane. Looks like a likely spot for Salters too.

The book specifically says Popponesset Bay "There is a sandy point and the only one in the bay, which forms one side of the channel called "Sampson's Narrows". They were fishing for salters originating from the Mashhpee River. Also stated that they were well inside the bay and not near any outlets to sea, although this area was explored, it did not produce as well as up inside the bay.

The author must have been confused and forgot the correct name from the time he visited and the time he wrote the book. Sampson's vs SImon's as both points inside the bay the land was owned by Simons.