Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roundman

Help with ABU reels

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a ABU Chrome Rocket CT with the original bearings and a C3 Elite CT that has upgraded bearings and was serviced by Jerry Foran. It seems that the Chrome Rocket is almost impossible to backlash and the C3 Elite is almost impossible to controll. I use two break blocks in each reel and service the bearings regurally and use the same oil in the bearings. I wish I could loosen up the Chrome Rocket a little and tame the C3 Elite down about the same number of notches. I have the end caps set about the same on the two reels but they are worlds apart. I would be open to any suggestions. I am using the reels on 12ft 3 in All star rods and typically cast 3-4 oz weights. The only difference is the Chrome Rocket has 12 lb running line and the C3 has 17 lb running line. I use 60 lb braid shock leaders.

My friend, one can't set spool tension knobs to match another reel. One adjusts the spool tension knobs according to what they are throwing. 

Put you reel on the rod. Than tie on you rig, plug, jig, whatever you are tossing, Let the rig, plug, jig free fall to the ground. Now if the spool runs on, than you tighten the spool to where there is no spool run on. Now, a spool is only set according to what you are tossing. Weights make a difference as well. Try this my friend!smile.gif

One more thing, if you can't get a tame spool, try a thicker oil in your bearings. This will slow it down some too. And the reverse in the Chrome's bearings. I use an oil in my Abu's with a viscosity of 2.43, almost as thin as water! 

Jimmy, I agree with the spool thnsion not being able to be duplicated between reels. I had forgotten the trick about letting the weight drop and will give that a try. Good suggestion. I have tried thicker oil but with not a lot of success. I started out with Rocket fuel and am using I think 3 in one oril right know. Maybe I should clean the bearings on the rocket and go back to rocket fuel.

Maybe I should clean the bearings on the rocket and go back to rocket fuel.

+1 :th:

Since they're both open top versions there isn't alot left to adjust. One question...when Jerry did his surgery what bearings did he upgrade you too. I've never been completely satisfied with any rated Abec 5 or higher, both ceramic and stainless get uncontrollable for anything but wide open "Outer Banks" scenarios.

Dutch

What I use is, Horton's and Al Cass valve oil, it's super thin! The 3in1 is good, and if you can find Marvel Mystery Oil in a small can. This is an oil I use too., 

The Chrome Rocket I had was pretty wild and hard to tame. I did clean out the bearings with lighter fluid and relube it with the oil that comes with it. It had six brakes you can use with it. Just use as many as you need. Take it to a field and try different combinations. You're using two and it's too tame so try one.

The end knobs should be adjusted so that there is a little space for the spool to travel between them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mako20ft View Post

+1 icon14.gif

Since they're both open top versions there isn't alot left to adjust. One question...when Jerry did his surgery what bearings did he upgrade you too. I've never been completely satisfied with any rated Abec 5 or higher, both ceramic and stainless get uncontrollable for anything but wide open "Outer Banks" scenarios.

Dutch

Jerry usually uses Abec 5's.

I usually use what the reels come with. They're more than good enough for fishing with. Blackbeard said pretty much the same thing- that you don't need the high Abec bearings for fishing.

Jerry usually uses Abec 5's.

xactly' My thumb is educated enough and I've witnessed far better casters than me blow a reel up beyond salvage. Can't stand the thought of it happening the one time I trip over a school :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mako20ft View Post

xactly' My thumb is educated enough and I've witnessed far better casters than me blow a reel up beyond salvage. Can't stand the thought of it happening the one time I trip over a school icon24.gif

I know, but the key is knowing how to feather the spool when one has a fast reel. I use Abec's in my reels and I just know how to handle each reel I use. Many times folks get excited when into fish and just forget to respool tight after a cast. This will contribute to blow ups too.smile.gif

I will admit to one thing. The C3 really is loose and can cast a bloomin mile. The problem I have is trying to get the extra couple of feet out of the reel. It seems that no matter how I start out, over the day I find my self loosening the tension on the spool to get that estra distance and finally S___ I have done blown it up again. There got to be a 12 step program to cure this. The Chrome Rocket on the other hand, I can loosen the tension on the spool until the O-ring is exposed and the reel is realatively tame.;