Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blushin

St. Croix Premier Information and surf set up discussion

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

hey guys,

so ive searched and searched, and i cant really find much info on the Premier series from St. Croix.  most of the threads that come up using the search function are for sale threads or dont really discuss the rod.  i have read numerous reviews on the legends and on the very popular mojo series but wanted to get everyones take on the premier series. 

some background.  i have surf fished my entire life in Delaware.  that being said, im only 25 but love fishing pretty much more than any other hobby.  as i have finally decided it was time for me to get some setups that fit my type of fishing, i started building my setups.  in the past i have only owned spinning setups.  these were an 11'ft penn  with an older shimano spinner, might be baitcaster, but not entirely sure.  another setup was a custom 12' heaver made by red drum in hatteras with an old penn spinner.  lately ive been using a 9'6" custom by red drum matched with a new shimano.  ive throw conventional reels a bunch of times and just like the way they work. i dunno, i also feel like i want to get out of my comfort zone and try something new.  that being said, i just recently picked up two Avet MXL MC's and am getting ready to match them with two new rods.  the rods i was thinking of matching these with were the MH St. Croix Premier 10'6" casting rods.  now, down here in delaware, we dont usually throw a lot of plugs, so most of the time i would say we are throwing 1-4 ounces plus bait, so maybe 6 ounces total, unless there is some substantial current or wind.  i dont want a super fast, super flimsy rod, but then again im not trying to get a tree trunk. i want something that will allow me to cast pretty far but also feel the bite.

i also just picked up a couple Avet SX MC's for the bay and also for bait fishing in the surf, they will be matched up to 7' Charkbait inshore rods, that actually came with the new reels for free!

i would love to hear your opinions on the rods and also on my new setups, ill also be happy to answer any questions i can.

thanks in advance

phill

ok, so seeing how a bunch of people have stopped by and read this thread but no one has commented, ill add in another dimension, i also am interested in the mojo surf rod also, im trying to find a rod that will allow me to fish for stripers and blues but also something that has enough backbone to deal with skates, rays, dogfish and the occasional shark.  i dont want something super fast but then again dont want a super stiff rod with no feeling.  something in the 10'6" - 11' range is what i am interested in.

2 years ago I was undecided between a Mojo & Premiere. I was looking for a 7ft back bay rod to throw small plugs and jigs and use on the boat. I liked the idea of the concept guides and was really leaning towards the Mojo. After pulling on both rods side by side I liked the action much better on the Premiere. The fact that the Premiere is made in the USA and the Mojo is made in Mexico didn't hurt either. I love the Premiere but it is really just a personal preference. Either way with the warranty and trade up programs they offer you can't go wrong.

I've owned both the10' 6" Premier (2=6oz) and Mojo Surf (3/4-4 oz). The Mojo was great for plugging. I bought the Premier in hopes that it would handle the heavier plugs. But, it was more like casting with a 2x4. No whip, really hard to work a plug, etc. However, it was great for bait. It's not there anymore, but I remember a while back that the St. Croix website even indicated that the Premier series was designed for bait (although I could be wrong).

I have a 10'6" Premier MH2 Casting rod that I just paired with the ABU 6500cl Big Game I picked up from StriperTC.  I took it out casting last weekend just to get used to it, and was throwing 4oz and bait on a fish finder rig.  I was able to throw just fine, but I don't feel like the rod was loading all that thoroughly with an OTB cast with 4oz., a fish finder with a 2-3' leader, and a simulated squid.  I wasn't actually fishing, so I didn't bother with chunk.

I'm not sure whether or not it was a factor of my form being a new conventional caster, or whether I should up the weight I'm throwing "which I plan on doing next spring anyhow, but while the rod was flinging bait further than I expected, it didn't have that well-loaded look according to my wife that the surf casting guys on you tube and in pictures have.  I also didn't feel the rod unload like I do my cheaper spinners with the same style of cast.

I'm not sure I helped in the slightest with my explanation, as I'm confused about how it loaded my own self, and was planning on trying more weight the next time it's above 30 degrees, and setting up a video camera to watch what happens for myself.