Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slip n slide

what color is a sand flea?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Tying some flies for this summers' fishing and skoks blind crab was recommended.In the recipe it calls for natural rabbit,which is grey underfur w/ black and brown gurad hairs.Really? I don't remember sand fleas as being brown,grey or black.Are'nt they a,well,uniform sand color? Basically a pale tan color overall?

Right, flesh color. Camped out on a Monomoy beach and overnight a sand flea landed in my eye, and somehow got impacted in the corner of my eye. We didn't realize it was there as it was almost the same color as my flesh. Sailing and half way to Nantucket in a very rough SW wind my wife had to take this sand flea out of my swollen eye. Weird!

Tying some flies for this summers' fishing and skoks blind crab was recommended.In the recipe it calls for natural rabbit,which is grey underfur w/ black and brown gurad hairs.Really? I don't remember sand fleas as being brown,grey or black.Are'nt they a,well,uniform sand color? Basically a pale tan color overall?

Sand with a lower edge of white edging into pink.. Check out Dave

Skok Mole Crab fly aka SandFlea. It is basically an egg shaped clawless shell with feet to dig into sand quickly.

I did check out Skoks' site as that's where I got the recipe for the pattern.Natural rabbit is anything but tan or sand in color,it's a blend of much darker shades.He also calls for barring on the legs,don't remember barring on any sandflea I ever saw.

If I were actually trying to imitate a sand flea I'd be inclined to use tan or sand colored rabbit (and unbarred legs) vs natural rabbit.If I'm interested in blindly following a pattern I'd tie as it's written.Just wanting a confirm on a slightly faded childhood memory of digging sandfleas out at the waterline and what they looked like.

I make a Pompano 'fly' using a Pom-Pom from the craft store.

The color which closely imitates the sand flea is called Taupe.

If I make a true Sand Flea fly, I will use bright orange cactus chenille for the body, with olive cactus chenille for the thorax. I may add a dark hackle for a 'head', with mono eyes/legs. JMHO C2

OK,so I went online to lok up some pics of sand fleas and to refresh my memory on what they look like.They are definitely not the color of natural rabbit.Does anybody besides me see potential for a spun deerhair imitation? Not too dense so it'll sink and a tungsten weight on the bottom? They are more of a tannish/sand w/ light grey-brown speckiling on the forebody.

I also saw a video of these three really cute lil girls collecting and eating them.They deep fried them and ate them whole.The 1st one liked 'em,2nd was like,ahhh, and the 3rd looked like she was about to throw up,lol!

You could probably tie the pattern in all-chartreuse or orange and still catch fish...I try keep in mind a little evolutionary trick: It's the ones that don't blend in well that get eaten. This happens in nature because the environment sometimes changes faster than the breeding out of certain pigment traits. First off, I would believe Skok if he says he catches fish on a pattern (not to say tried-and-true can't sometimes be enhanced), and natural rabbit might be just close enough to look real but stand out and get that bass' attention.

I don't have many silver baitfish patterns in my box...

Yeah,I saw that one Jon.Good all round tutorial on the bug itself.It's when I clicked on that one that I also saw the one w/ the kids.Funny stuff.

That's a good point you make about standing out.Maybe I'm too focused on exactness....

I'll tie a few ea way and see.

Nauset,OMG! what are those?That's kinda creepy!