Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Did you ever have a close friend suddenly "come out of the closet'?

Rate this topic

306 posts in this topic

You know, an old buddy you grew up and hung out with? An old college buddy? A girl you knew?

It happened to me a couple years after college. I think it was 1978. My wife and I were still dating. She went out of town with her sisters on a camping trip, and I was a bachelor for a few days. I'm sitting in this bar over by Worcester Tech, watching the ballgame. In walks an old college buddy of mine, we'll call him "Howie". We knew each other for several years, had a lot of the same friends, drank and hung out a few times.

He buys a beer, sits down with me and asks where my girlfriend was. I told him she was off with her sisters. He then asks if I'd like to go to the Blue Plate in Holden, Ma with him? He had to meet with some 'guys from his group'. The Blue Plate was this really hip bar at the time. The owner's name was "Tiny" Stacy, and Tiny was a personal body guard to the Dalai Lama when the Dalai visited north America. Really good local bands, pitchers of beer, a couple incredibly hot twin sisters who waitressed.

He said he'd give me a ride up and back, so I said sure, why not.

Halfway there, I asked who we were meeting, and he told me it was some guys from his support group. That kind of surprised me, so I asked, what group?

He replies "My partners of gay battered males support group."

:shock:

So...

This "friend"... is he again feeling the need to share himself with others?

If so...assure"him" that it's OK...

We'll try not to be judgmental.

I know I'm putting myself in the oven for writing this but what the hell. I did when I was about 15, me and a friend went to a basketball game in the city(madison square garden) so he slept over when we got back. Laying down watching TV(seperate beds) all of a sudden he asked me if I wanted a BJ, I thought it waas a joke and started messing with him, I figured it out it wasn't when he started crying. Long story short I ended up beating him with a wiffleball bat until my dad came and broke it up, then drove him home. To this day I never told my dad what the fight was all about.....

You know, an old buddy you grew up and hung out with? An old college buddy? A girl you knew?

It happened to me a couple years after college. I think it was 1978. My wife and I were still dating. She went out of town with her sisters on a camping trip, and I was a bachelor for a few days. I'm sitting in this bar over by Worcester Tech, watching the ballgame. In walks an old college buddy of mine, we'll call him "Howie". We knew each other for several years, had a lot of the same friends, drank and hung out a few times.

He buys a beer, sits down with me and asks where my girlfriend was. I told him she was off with her sisters. He then asks if I'd like to go to the Blue Plate in Holden, Ma with him? He had to meet with some 'guys from his group'. The Blue Plate was this really hip bar at the time. The owner's name was "Tiny" Stacy, and Tiny was a personal body guard to the Dalai Lama when the Dalai visited north America. Really good local bands, pitchers of beer, a couple incredibly hot twin sisters who waitressed.

He said he'd give me a ride up and back, so I said sure, why not.

Halfway there, I asked who we were meeting, and he told me it was some guys from his support group. That kind of surprised me, so I asked, what group?

He replies "My partners of gay battered males support group."

:shock:

Did you still consider this friend a friend after his announcement?

I know I'm putting myself in the oven for writing this but what the hell. I did when I was about 15, me and a friend went to a basketball game in the city(madison square garden) so he slept over when we got back. Laying down watching TV(seperate beds) all of a sudden he asked me if I wanted a BJ, I thought it waas a joke and started messing with him, I figured it out it wasn't when he started crying. Long story short I ended up beating him with a wiffleball bat until my dad came and broke it up, then drove him home. To this day I never told my dad what the fight was all about.....

that's f-ed up, never happened to me,or any of my friends

We had a friend and you would have never of thought he would turn out to be gay, but he did. One day me and my friend B were just hanging out and we go to his basement and by the door there was a letter. B walks over to it and opens it up, he starts to read it and looks at me saying you dick why are you messing with me, I said what the hell are you talking about he starts to read it out loud and the letter stated that he was in love with B and that he couldn't hold back anymore and so on.

Mind you we were 16 years old...

I was on the floor laughing hysterical, B was getting pissed, I said B whats the end say... He looked at me and said I love you T. At this point I couldn't stop laughing, B was ready to rip T's head off because they were close friends and T would put his arm around B all the time or lean up against him all the time. Me being the great guy I am started gasing B and he was at a point he was nuts.

I said we need to go and talk with T and B was like yeah lets go, we get there and the minute I see T i was laughing hysterical again, I looked at B and said you aren't going to give T a big sloppy wet one? He punched me in the arm but I continued to laugh. T said B we need to talk did you get my letter? B was like what the hell is wrong with you are you ******* with me? T was like no B I am in love with you and try's to hug and hold him! :laugh:

B shoves him away and just ignites on T, this poor kid got his ass handed to him, I broke it up within a few minutes and threw B to the ground and said enough. They made up but T knew from that day forward no lovey dovey ****, keep that **** to yourself and find another sword fighter to play with.

As I was writing this it was as if it happened yesterday... :laugh:

went to my wife's HS reunion years ago,

one of her friends came out to her there.... made the announcement etc.

then 2 years later she married a guy.

guess it was a phase,

but I wonder how much embarassment she has having made the announcement and then changing her mind.

I think it's time you attend one of those gay battered males support groups. :th:

"Did you ever have a close friend suddenly "come out of the closet'?"

otter's your friend? :D

No, really- I never have had a friend who came out. Well, one of my GFs told me she likes other girls but that's OK with me. The more the merrier I always say. :devl:

went to my wife's HS reunion years ago,

one of her friends came out to her there.... made the announcement etc.

then 2 years later she married a guy.

guess it was a phase,

but I wonder how much embarassment she has having made the announcement and then changing her mind.

We called that the four-year plan in college...

seemed to be related to the girls Softball and Crew teams.....

My cousin did, got a lot on his plate that fella, deaf, crippled from a stroke, and then @ 35 announces he's gay.................10 years later his dad still hasn't talked to him.....................lives in Virginia with a partner and a dog.........seems happy. To each his own.

I read once where 1 in 8 people are gay. Let's pick a random number and say it's 1 in 50. That would still mean there are a lot of gay fishermen on this site. A guy I know is a pretty well known comedian who just came out this week. He is 47 years old. That means he has been hiding or repressing feelings for somewhere around 35 years. I am happy for him and I hope his announcement brings him peace. Anyone who would get super angry or physically attack someone who tells them they are gay, well, they probably aren't all that straight either.