Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Allen

Old Lamiglas rod, what to do?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I aquired an old Lamiglas one piece 11.5' surf rod a couple years ago. It's set up for a bait caster. Whoever buit it only put the reel seat about 18" from the bottom, and four guides on it. This rod is HEAVY! not one you'd want to stand there and hold for long. I've fished with it several times and have thrown as much as 10 and a head with it, feels like it could handle much more if my arms could. Most of the time a Abu 7001 sits on top. It has been painted at some point, I guess someone didn't like the yellow, it's now blue. Terry described it as a "Hatteras Heaver" when he saw it.

My two biggest complaints about this rod are. It's too long to transport without letting it hang out the back of the truck cap, and the handle is too short.

1. Is it possible to strip everything off the blank and start over to make the handle longer? I realize I'd have to replace the hardware and either learn to wrap, or have my buddy do it {might take years for him to get to it}. Or pay someone to do it.

2. Is it possible to make it a two piece with say a 70/30 cut to try and retain most of the flexability?

3. Am I better off making it a wall hanger, using it the way it is, or selling it to fund something two piece?

4. Does anyone still use these rods?

5. How does one fight a fish or use it for a day without ones arm falling off due to the short butt? Brought in a med size ray with it back in May, liked to wear me out.

What would you boys do with it?

Phil

Hey Phil! Got yerself a treasure, eh?

1. Yes. Make yourself a set of v-blocks and have at it. Addicting...might cost ya $$ in the long run.

2. Sure but probably not worth the effort.

3. Wallhanger.

4. Not me...but I do have an old Fenwick that's gonna see some salty h2o this year. :D

5. I dunno...

>>What would you boys do with it?

See # 3 above.

I agree with Steve.... Phil, if you where asking me to rebuild it, I would say this... it would cost more (labor) than to build a new stick, you like, for you... etc. I 'rebuilt' quite a few sticks last year, and I learned that there is about twice as much work than starting from fresh (you have to remove all the old components, clean the blank, guides may leave marks, etc.). I actually charge MORE now to rebuild than just to build a new one, cause you will never know what you get.

Now, If you are going to do the rebuild, then it may be worth it... but investigate where the guides are, and if you can add more, or move them, without leaving marks, that would be the factor without seeing it.

You could cut it, to make it 2pc, but the length would be shorter... and with that old of blank, the action may be greatly affected.

What I would do... well, post a pic or two first, LOL... Since I don't break down my rods, I would extend the butt 12", re-wrap it, new guides ...given there are only 4, I would try to add them near the top.. bring it to at least 6 and the tip. two things I would look at if I was thinkin bout it... 1) tip tube size (if you can find one that thick and 2) the finish of the blank, if I do something, I don't want it to turn a poop green color :D

With all that said, my uncle found an old 2 pc stick he bought from OC 20 some years ago... lucky for me, there was a foil under the old guides (no marks)... not sure if it is a fenwick or not, but it seems to be... a dark red/maroon color blank, glass, with what seems to be gold flakes mixed in. Anyway, im going to build a nice little wippy spinning stick with it, new style guides, braid only, etc... ill post pictures when i get done, probably by spring... have a few others im focusing on first ;)

Sounds like a rod I had. Low reel seat, 4 guides. Set up for an Alvey. Modify the Alvey for OTG casting, get a hip rod holder and fish all day. Get peed off throw the Alvey in the sand kick it, it won't mind,fish some more. That's just me. Can't deal with one piece rods any way these days.

M

I still use a 13' spinning one piece from back in the day. It doesn't have any labeling on it but I've been told by several people that it's probably an old Lami. Marcus worked on it for me to replace the decaying guides and I'm glad I spent the money on the rebuilt as opposed to purchasing or having a brand new rod built. Not sure if Marcus would agree on that though^^... but I like the nostalgic feel and It's cool knowing the rod is sort of a glimpse into the past, having been passed down through the family. I don't have an original date on the rod but it is at least 10 years older then myself, so it's in it's 40's.

It definitely requires some accommodations though when storing or traveling with a 13' once piece, but it hung out the bronco back window fine (too tall with branches and wires for the front rack). Of course I only live a few miles from the beach so I never really traveled far with it. I just have to be careful taking it in and out of the house so I don't run it into a door or wall. Maybe because mine is a spinner but the rod isn't heavy at all and despite it's size has incredible play and is a blast fighting fish on.

I plan to fish it until it won't fish no more!

Brian, building that 1pc 13'er on a 10ft wrapper took some time to figure out :D

It was hard to accept the guide placement on that thing... that's the hardest thing i think about a rebuild... if the newer guides will work in the old guides spot. Conv' is easier to work with.

So far so good! As you know, your hard work is very much appreciated Marcus! It casts great with the new guides but you must have accidentally spilled mojo on it because that rod seemed to be a 'red' magnet this year.

Appriciate all the responses. I've spent most of last night and a lot of today reading the custom rod thread, the rod building section, mud holes website, and youtube. My surf fishing mentor is digging out his rod building books for me. Should I stop myself now before I start another addiction.

Kinda figured that. My wife is a quilter, turns out some beautiful quilts, bags, ect.... She was saying the other evening that she needed a new hobby. She's hooked on fishing almost as much as I am. Showed her some of the photos and videos this evening. She's like "I coulsd get into that". Then she says, "So we could build rod to fit me a little better?" {shes 4' 10" 89lbs}. Now her interest is spiking.

good to hear brian.... I need to figure out how to put a magnet in my own sticks... lol

Pin, let me know if ya need any info, would be glad to share what a good few on this thread have told me.

If it were me I would strip it and rebuild it. However I think projects like this kinda have to be a labor of love. You really need to be interested in the history of the rod and old timey feel of it. The reason being is that it is a significant amount of work and while fun to fish these types of rods rarely become every day workhorses. And why someone would paint over that awesome honey yellow color is beyond me.:huh: