Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yardguy71

MRI is done , now we see

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

well that would be good..minor fix compared to other stuff...

I know 3 people who have had total knee replacement in the last year...its amazing what they can do now...

If it is a torn meniscus, get it fixed soon. Don't wait too long. But I will say, if that's the case, your issues are just starting. I had one of my knees repaired three times over the last ten years. Then I just had a total knee replacement the end of October. Recovery and therapy is a long road, but it's starting to feel like it was worthwhile. Good luck.

The Dr.'s assistant left a message on my phone today , got it too late to call her back she said she had some info for me ... can't be good calling me this soon my app't isn't until next week .

My knee has been hurting me off and on since '08 ( ignore it no big deal ) well the past 6 months the pain has increased ,

to the point I have trouble sleeping , can't get to sleep or it wakes me up in the night . Effin sucks now .

i should have asked the Tavern for med advice sooner . :beatin:

I have torn meniscus in medial and laterial locations in my left knee. The doc injected it with steroids and it has been fine since. About 2 years now.

I've had 2 medial miniscus surgeries, and then tore it again but there's nothing left.

The miniscus surgery isn't bad at all.

I'm going next week to set a date for the TKR.

I'm really, really, dreading this.

It's my right knee.

You guys who have had it, or know people - what can I expect as far as rehab times?

For example, how long til I can drive?

Most people that get these are older, I'm 52 and can tolerate a fair amount of pain.

I'm wondering how long to expect to be out of work, because I have a lot of preparation to do.

Iv'e had 3 knee surgeries and am ready for a full replacement. Its a bucket tear of the medial meniscus and it hurts 80% of the time. Get the MRI and get it taken care of as soon as you can. Feel better and good luck.

I've had 2 medial miniscus surgeries, and then tore it again but there's nothing left.

It's my right knee.

You guys who have had it, or know people - what can I expect as far as rehab times?

Most people that get these are older, I'm 52 and can tolerate a fair amount of pain.

I'm wondering how long to expect to be out of work, because I have a lot of preparation to do.

Billybob, do yourself a favor and start physical therapy now before the surgery. The more in shape that you are, the better you are going to feel. My next door neighbor is 72 and he had it done a year ago. He was playing tennis within six months. I can't give you a driving timetable. However, get your physical conditioning up right now.

It's my right knee.

I just had mine done the end of Oct. so I'm coming up on close to three months. I'm 56 and they consider us young for this surgery, but if you need it, you need it. I didn't want to wait until I'm older and sitting in a rocking chair with a new knee. I wanted it now.

I'm still on disability and going to out patient therapy 2-3 times/week. Depending on the type of work you do, your back to work time can vary. I'm an equipment mechanic and my job requires standing, kneeling, etc pretty much my whole shift. Therefore my ortho doc has recommended a little longer rehab phase for me. He said with the type of work I do, he would recommend six months or so. If I was on a desk job, I could almost consider going back to work very soon.

You can start driving in roughly a month or so after surgery. Or whenever you're off the prescription pain killers.

The pain coming out of the surgery was the worst for me, but they had it managed within a few hours. They start you walking the next day and expect you to progress each day until you leave the hospital (3-4 days).

You will have a visiting nurse and a visiting physical therapist to come to your house for about a month following the surgery, then you'll transition to out patient.

It's a slow process and I still have pain, but it's getting better and is certainly not as bad as it was before the surgery.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

My Aunt just had it done, just before Thanksgiving. She still hosted Christmas dinner.

Everyone is different. My FIL had a harder time with it, but he's playing racquet ball inside of a year.

It's gonna hurt. It's gonna suck. But you'll recover. Just watch the pain meds.