Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Island Lurker

Rod Blank ?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Ok I have been looking on all posts using search, also been on other forums looking so I have had a lot of my questions answered. Ive been searching in forums for 2yrs and I finally have time and cash to build my own rod. I have a old blank also that i have been practicing on just threading on eyes then redoing them using old thread from a man who use to do it here on island. I never relized how many different blanks are out there. Im also going thru mudhole for all other accs and tools.

But this is what i'm looking for

length 8, 81/2 or 9

3/4oz to 3oz plugs

Reel stradic 5000 or penn battle 4000 with 12# ande

mainly throwing bombers up to 2.5oz tins in surf and calm waters. Targeting Blues,Bass and Albies

Now I have 8.5 loomis and a xsra 1083-2 which I love both rods This rod I would like it a little stiffer than these 2 the reason why is and correct me if i'm wrong but my son fishes with me and he always tries to throw the plug to hard to get distance and trying to teach him to let the pole do the work is impossible, he wants to muscle it and the harder you throw with these the less the plug goes, but when you relax the throw the rods will do there job and plug gets out there.

Suggestions on a blank for him but I need to keep under 100.00?

Then I would like a rod same applications and does not have to be under 100 this will be for me but I will save up to purchase this one in time after I learn enough so I'm comfortable building?

Thanks for any help and advice Chuck

Hope I left enough info pls ask if you need more specifics

Curious as to what Loomis model it is. Loomis rods (not all) are more often than not a pretty fast action rod and the faster ones are pretty stiff as expected, so i,m surprised your son is not happy with it. If it's not responding to a faster casting stroke then it's most likely one of the more moderate loomis models . St.Croix rods are associated with being pretty fast and stiff but the price range is similar to Loomis models.

Mudhole should have a selection of affordable blanks, maybe along the lines of a surf rocket or something similar . I,m sure somebody will chime in with a good suggestion or maybe they have a blank lying around that will suit your son. For you it's wide open there are so many great blanks to choose from. Are your specs above for both of you or just one rod?

To bad your son is unable to slow down his stroke, it would be quite a bit cheaper:);):th::th:

Curious as to what Loomis model it is. Loomis rods (not all) are more often than not a pretty fast action rod and the faster ones are pretty stiff as expected, so i,m surprised your son is not happy with it. If it's not responding to a faster casting stroke then it's most likely one of the more moderate loomis models . St.Croix rods are associated with being pretty fast and stiff but the price range is similar to Loomis models.

Mudhole should have a selection of affordable blanks, maybe along the lines of a surf rocket or something similar . I,m sure somebody will chime in with a good suggestion or maybe they have a blank lying around that will suit your son. For you it's wide open there are so many great blanks to choose from. Are your specs above for both of you or just one rod?

To bad your son is unable to slow down his stroke, it would be quite a bit cheaper:);):th::th:

Thanks cnnashman

The loomis is 8-6 sur 1023S and you are correct it is med heavy so it is fairly stiff, that is my favorite all around rod never leave home with out her

I just took it off the wall and your right on with I dont think there is a better rod for a kid. He must be at the stage I remember being at 11 yrs old And throwing my fathers 13 ftr and trying to throw to the cape. It didnt go anywhere but across 20 guys lines hell of a throw down the beach??

But I think Ill look for somthing similar. Your right about the stroke but since you said a couple of things i think he has to chill a bit and get patience

The specs are also for mine but leaning towards a 9 ftr and i am saving up for a nice one. Here I thought it could be cheaper to build one myself but the more I look around this can become a very expensive hobby. But I gotta do somthing these winters kill me

Thanks cnnashman

The loomis is 8-6 sur 1023S and you are correct it is med heavy so it is fairly stiff, that is my favorite all around rod never leave home with out her

I just took it off the wall and your right on with I dont think there is a better rod for a kid. He must be at the stage I remember being at 11 yrs old And throwing my fathers 13 ftr and trying to throw to the cape. It didnt go anywhere but across 20 guys lines hell of a throw down the beach??

But I think Ill look for somthing similar. Your right about the stroke but since you said a couple of things i think he has to chill a bit and get patience

The specs are also for mine but leaning towards a 9 ftr and i am saving up for a nice one. Here I thought it could be cheaper to build one myself but the more I look around this can become a very expensive hobby. But I gotta do somthing these winters kill me

Now thats funny (above)

IL, if you want a rod that performs on a very high level and you like them pretty stiff and fast in action you would do well to look into one of the CTS S-8 surf models. They can be found in the BST at times, and some guys just build them and sell them, as it makes sense due to their popularity and difficulty in obtaining a fully built rod. It's not like you can pick one up walking into a store so they go fast when available, and won't disappoint.

I'm no builder and not really an expert... but if you can find a Rainshadow SW1088 it might be nice for your requirements. 8'10" (newer version- full 9'0 for the original) rated 1-4, but I thing 4 is very optimistic. I have a conventional on this blank and I love it. Lastly, Rainshadow blanks won't break the bank.