Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gojoe1020

best set-up

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Joe there is no best rod reel line etc... as it's mostly personal preference and a great setup for one can be terrible for the next. With that being said if throwing eels you can't go wrong in looking into the Lamiglas GSB 1201l or even some of the more moderate St.Croix Mojo's that have the 3/4-4oz rating. Tossing eel's is best done with a more moderate action rod imo, and you won't have to deal with tossing so many off your hook and setting them free. Faster action rods have a tendency to do that if you aren't careful . My advice would be to try out some rods and see what you like, it's really the only way to know for sure what your getting.

The GSB based rods are very popular for tossing eels and you can find them at great prices in the BST, or you can have one built. If you don't want to go that route check out Lami's Surf and Jetty models.

^ yeah to each their own, i love my ct.croix legend with my fin-nor offshore more than my premier+vm150 which my dad personally love to use. what are you using now that you'd want to change about it?

last year i used a 11 foot airwave mh rod and a penn710., with 20 ld braid...i know that i;m gona buy a new rod this year, i just not sure what rod or for what main puporse( i have afew other reels,, penn 700...704...n ...560),,so i guess i just looking to buy a pole that will sorta round off for all my surf needs...As cnnashman said the lamiglass surf and jetty rod is a good choice( esp for me as i domt wanna spend too much..as i only get to the surf a few times ayear),,but i also like the tsuami airwave elite( ireally like their grips on the handle)..maybe in a H or XH...thx for the input guy's......guess i got some thinking to do....joe

last year i used a 11 foot airwave mh rod and a penn710., with 20 ld braid...i know that i;m gona buy a new rod this year, i just not sure what rod or for what main puporse( i have afew other reels,, penn 700...704...n ...560),,so i guess i just looking to buy a pole that will sorta round off for all my surf needs...As cnnashman said the lamiglass surf and jetty rod is a good choice( esp for me as i domt wanna spend too much..as i only get to the surf a few times ayear),,but i also like the tsuami airwave elite( ireally like their grips on the handle)..maybe in a H or XH...thx for the input guy's......guess i got some thinking to do....joe

Joe why so heavy in the rod ratings. Do you really throw that much weight that would call for such a heavy rod when eeling?

The Airwave elite seemed like it was rated a tad on the high side. That's a good thing for eeling. The 9'3" 3-5 or 10' 3-6 could fit the bill fine for an eeling stick. Two guys standing on the same beach can prefer different setups to do the same thing and each can be quite comfortable with their choice. Jetty fishing is really no different. For me, I like a shorter (@9 ft ) rod with alot of backbone, a oversizeed reel like a penn 704 with heavy braid (50 or 65lb) for tossing eels. Typically It's a heavier setup that I won't be plugging with.