Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhorsley

Jake Jordan Invitational Sailfish Fly Challenge Casa Vieja Guatemala 2012

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

We just returned from Guatemala and Jake's fly Challenge. What a super event--super boats and crews and a world class lodge. I usually shy away from billfish tournaments but i am very glad i got the opportunity to participate in this one. A great bunch of fly anglers gathered to enjoy a low key tournament. The fishing was not as red hot as last year but it was close action with sails and blue marlin released on fly. Jake and Casa Vieja run a super event.

I can not wait for March when we return.

here is a link to photos

http://hgphotos.smugmug.com/Other/Jake-Jordan-Fly-Challenge/

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2823717/width/600/height/398]

fighting butts in rod holder gloves under reels so reels will not scratch teak---three Sage 1680s and Mako 9600s and 9500

we have four 1680s three are Xi2s and 1 Xi3--i can not tell there is much difference in the two. Anything from 13 to 16+ wt. will work. We like 16s because of the chance of blue/black marlin.

In Costa Rica we used 13 and 14 wts for years and they worked well for years. When we started fishing in Guatemala the Capts. preferred 16 wt. or a rod with a stiffer tip. Jake's hook set method takes the rod out of the equation but at times it is nice to have a rod with an attitude.

all tolling and bait and switch with lures and rigged ballyhoo or dolphin belly strips. We set our reels at 6 to 6.5 pounds of drag for sailfish and 1.5 to 2 pounds on the marlin rod. We use only IGFA 20 pound leader. WE all use Jakes fly line set up--30 foot Rio 550 grain Leviathan head, 80 feet of 50 pound mono from backing to the fly line. I just started using the mono section--nice to have that little stretch

Brian,

Tough to understand why teak and the precious attitude to gear that should be able to take whats thrown at it. Just struck me as a bit Gay.:D

Must have been a blast. Hard to imagine what it must be like to be hooked up into game fish like that when you have never done it before. Brian you may just one day break my aversion to boat fishing.:th:

Mike

we all use some type of gel spun backing from 50 to 60 pound with a double Bimini loop, on each end of the 50 pound mono there is a Dacron loop on each end of the fly line there is a Dacron loop--on one end of 80 pound butt there is a Dacron loop. every connection from the backing to the butt section is loop to loop so there are no knots going in and out your guides at warp speed.

Mike that was tongue in cheek about the teak--gloves are for the reels--they take way better care of my tackle than i do

we all use some type of gel spun backing from 50 to 60 pound with a double Bimini loop, on each end of the 50 pound mono there is a Dacron loop on each end of the fly line there is a Dacron loop--on one end of 80 pound butt there is a Dacron loop. every connection from the backing to the butt section is loop to loop so there are no knots going in and out your guides at warp speed.

Mike that was tongue in cheek about the teak--gloves are for the reels--they take way better care of my tackle than i do

Kinda lost me there so the topshot is 50/60 lbs more or less 100yrd? and 80lbs butt to flyline then leader? trying to set up my reel using this system thx