Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ectopic

Repairing guide/epoxy separation

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a brand new factory made rod with titanium single foot K-guides and noticed that one guide in particular has exhibited some separation from the epoxy at the base of the guide foot. Not really sure how this happened, but I suspect I inadvertently bent the guide downwards when loading my reel with braid :facepalm: .

There is actually a small <1mm gap visible between the epoxy and the guide foot.

(see photos)

[img=

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/etai_s15/Fishing%20gear/ce6a25bf.jpg]

My questions are:

1) Is this just a cosmetic issue? i.e. are titanium guides sufficiently rust proof to avoid further deterioration? (although I suspect salt intrusion will still be an issue)

2) Can I prevent water/salt intrusion with a simple application of "clear nail varnish"?

3) Should I be taking to a rod builder for a coat of epoxy?

Just wanting some opinions before I actually expose the rod to saltwater.

Thanks for your advice!

I dont think its broken or anything. Sometimes the epoxt just cracks in weird places. I would just put a drop of something on it to be safe. Epoxy is ideal, but what you have wil work great. Post back to let us know how it goes. it wont compromise the ability of the rod though, and titanium is pretty corrosion proof, havent had one corrode yet.

Gabe

Contact the manufacturer and exercise the warranty.

While titanium guides will not corrode nor discolor, why should ou have a new rod that has a flaw.

If you wait too long they will say it is just normal wear and tear.

Herb

HL's advice is terrible. There is no flaw with anything. That's like driving over nails and going back to teh dealership asking for a new car because you got a flat tire. YOu had nothing to worry about it was normal wear and tear, especailly since you probably had a lot of tension on teh line and you oly put the line through 1 guide which is what it sounds like. Titanium doesn't rust, and even if it did it wouldn't make a difference becasue the epoxy seperartes from ALL guides when used and nothing bad happens exceptsome discoloration with stainless guides

HL's advice is an option just like Billy's suggestion to ignore it is another option. Of all the options suggested in this thread , its up to Ectopic to decide which suggestion he likes best.

just a normal result from flex/distortion during the force of casting. most prominent on spinning rods. if sealing the crack is desired i have found clear nail polish works well due to its ability to flex rather than recracking

Yeah, I was pretty sure that I was at fault, so warranty wasn't gonna happen.

I small amount of cracking around the guides is fairly normal. In this case though, there was a decent gap between the guide and epoxy that would have collected a fair bit of water. Hence, I decided to have the gap filled with more epoxy. I came close to just dabbing a bit of clear nail polish though, but the owner of the tackle shop said he'd apply some epoxy at no cost.