Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HardyG

Mojo Criollo-Meh

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Gang,

I had visions of marinating a spatchcocked chicken in Mojo Criollo for six hours, grilling it in the Egg and enjoying it with cold beers and football. To be blunt, I'd give the stuff a C-. The ingredients are orange and lemon juices from concentrate, garlic and onion, salt, spices (a boatload of cumin) and of course, preservatives. I can do that from scratch for pennies instead of $3.00 per bottle. Maybe I didn't marinate long enough? Mind you, the chicken was edible, but it fell far short of expectations.

Was it Goya?

Thats my go to when I am lazy stuff.  Marinate all night.  Baste too.  Tangy sweet.

Its a good start, I always add some oranges, limes if I have them, garlic and onions salt and fresh pepper to give it a fresh taste. Its a much different flavor than I usually go for so to me its pretty good. The salt I add sort of brines at the same time.

It’s funny you mention this as I had a 7 lb. birdy already thwacked in two, with one zip-locked half marinating and the other half injected with the Goya branded mojo criollo. For the marinated half I ran my fingers under some of the skin to loosen it up a bit to allow the marinade to penetrate. Total time in the fridge was 15 hours before being tossed straight onto the gasser.

I only got to sample one of the marinated thighs as the rest got delivered to the Ms. potluck shindig. To taste I thought it had a good savor to it and would definitely do it again on the grill.

I made the mistake of using this stuff a while back on some boneless skinless chicken breasts (2-ish hour marinade) that got sautéed up in a grill pan and the result was pretty awful…waste of a chicken breast if you ask me.

I think this marinade complements chicken best when done up on the grill and after a fair amount of soaking...good luck!