Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmy z

Oil that line carriage!

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

When I clean and lube reels. I usually do a one step at a time process. Especially when it comes to the level wind parts. This area can, and will, slow up the spool speed. 

I always take the whole L/W apparatus out of my reel when I am cleaning and lubing them. This is very important. Dirt gets caught up in that worm housing, and whether it is the plastic bushings on the worm, or bearings, all needs to be cleaned and lubed. 

One I have cleaned and lubed the L/W and all its parts, I test spin the worm. I look for speed and if anything is making is spin slowly. It should turn rather quickly when held in ones hand. I than seat it in the frame and reach inside and spin the idler gear with my finger, this should spin freely. And I mean freely, were is shoots the carriage back and forth a couple of times at least.

The one spot that will hold up a L/W is if one doesn't throw a drop of oil on the out side of the worm housing. I know this isn't a snug fit on these two parts, the worm covering anf carriage, but the slight film of oil does make a difference!smile.gif