Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

tying direct

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

For certain applications such a bucktailing, tying direct is always recommended. I don't do it because I am too lazy but I still manage to catch a few. Do you think tying direct makes a difference? If so then why???Thanks.

There was a big article on this and it had demonstrations that showed the differences under heavy current and lighter currents and it displayed how tying direct is more advantageous than other methods. It was extremely effective and likened the tying direct with a loop to how your wrist and hand compliment each other in the movements that you can or cannot accomplish.

Obviously hard to explain but by the underwater footage of the different methods of attaching a jig, bucktail etc... it was very clear that the loop provided the best action by far out of every other method. this is not to say other methods don't work because they do and you can catch to your hearts content ,but in the back of your mind you may be thinking how do i know if i am missing out on the biggest cow, will a better presentation change my luck?

Do i really want to take a little extra time to offer up the best presentation i can? or maybe it's not worth it ,and too much of an aggravation ,as clipping it on is far easier. This question can only be answered by the individual , good enough is( A OK )with a lot of people and it's not good enough for other people

I went through this dilemma this past summer, i could not get the biggest fish i knew were in this particular hole to take anything until i kept tinkering with my presentation, very frustrating for sure,but until it was near perfect they would not touch it, but to a lot of people it's to much of a hassle to change offerings and retie that much, and if they catch fish thats good enough. Everybody does things different and if it works it works. I do think that for true trophy hunters who spare nothing in terms of going after the biggest and baddest , i think they will do and try everything and anything to land that new record.

I think you are going to get to the fish either way. I think it is more preference. I have done both but ultimately in the end i usually tie to a fast clip and then to the jig or plug. I personally do not think it matters and its more by preference.

i have only attached fast clip and have worked for me, i suppose im the "A OK" type of guy. im thinkings of another method of faster change of my lures, by attached them directly to a 3-4' leader and fast clip in the end, doing this on all my lures and bucktails and i can swap them out fast on the swivel on the main line(shock leader). have anyone done this? i would assume it would give better presentation that attaching clip to the bucktail?

When Tying Direct I always tie a Non slip loop knot to the bucktail. Reason being it give the jig a more natural presentation . It allows the jig to move more freely.

I use a clip 70% of the time but when fishing gin clear water or when fish are spooky I will tie direct. One day at Gin beach jetty I was the only guy in 30 or so casters getting fish...

I saw they were all using clips... so I tied direct and immediately had a hit and this continued for an hour while others looked on.. I told them what I was doing but they didnt belive me and kept fishing the clip and no body got nothing...

I think there are "times" when it matters...

Ron.. what loop knot doe you use buddy? Homer Rodes?

I use a clip 70% of the time but when fishing gin clear water or when fish are spooky I will tie direct. One day at Gin beach jetty I was the only guy in 30 or so casters getting fish...

I saw they were all using clips... so I tied direct and immediately had a hit and this continued for an hour while others looked on.. I told them what I was doing but they didnt belive me and kept fishing the clip and no body got nothing...

I think there are "times" when it matters...

Ron.. what loop knot doe you use buddy? Homer Rodes?

The Rapala AKA Non Slip Loop Knot. Or the Perfection Loop Knot How are you My Good Friend? Hope you & The Bride are doing Well............God Bless Buddy

No, snaps are so small and I don't believe the fish( stripers) can distinguish them from whatever they are clipped too. Plus, it's dark and water clarity is not that good.

This is especially true and why I use the small size snap most often when fishing a soft bait bare or on a jig head. The medium size snaps are fine when throwing metal or larger plugs, but the small size gets it done most of all for me.

This is especially true and why I use the small size snap most often when fishing a soft bait bare or on a jig head. The medium size snaps are fine when throwing metal or larger plugs, but the small size gets it done most of all for me.

I don't believe it's the size of the snap (if close to the standard size that most use) if it's much larger than typical then of course that's a negative. It's the way the snap effects the movement of a jig or lure that is important, not the size in general. A snap no matter the size will not allow the same movement of a bucktail attached by a loop, that is where the difference is. I wish i could remember where i saw the underwater demonstrations of how different current and different attachment points effected the movement of the jig, lure etc... because it was noticeable.

I tie direct IF the clip I use won't work. I use Norman Speed Clips from Cabelas. I use the small one for flies and the large for plugs and jigs. I have never had one fail. They really need a middle size IMHO.

Tying direct is OK if you know the weight of teh bucktail needed. In places where current speed changes drastically tying direct will keep you from trying a differently weighted bucktail. Most people will be too lazy to re-tie a new one on. That is the main reason why i use a snap of some sort. Not because it makes the jig swing more freely or for any other reason other than i need to figure out the correct weight of my jig to catch fish. Too heavy or too light and you catch squat. Like i said if you know 100% which weight jig you need for the duration of your trip then go ahead and tie direct. If you know you'll be changing jigs use a snap.

Tying direct is OK if you know the weight of teh bucktail needed. In places where current speed changes drastically tying direct will keep you from trying a differently weighted bucktail. Most people will be too lazy to re-tie a new one on. That is the main reason why i use a snap of some sort. Not because it makes the jig swing more freely or for any other reason other than i need to figure out the correct weight of my jig to catch fish. Too heavy or too light and you catch squat. Like i said if you know 100% which weight jig you need for the duration of your trip then go ahead and tie direct. If you know you'll be changing jigs use a snap.

+1 I know John Skinner uses a snap on his bucktails for that reason, so thats good enough for me.