Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junkfoodjimmy

8ft Ron Arra or Graphite Surf and Jetty

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Looking into an 8 footer to use for plastics, bombers, needles, sp minnows, light metals, etc... nothing over maybe 2oz. I've heard lots of good things about the Ron Arras and have used a friend's 9ft 1084.  Fishing mainly from the beach, but may venture out onto some jetties, back bay, or even out in the kayak (haven't yet, but looking forward to trying in the spring).  How does the 961 blank compare to the 1084? Or would I be better off looking at the Graphite Surf and Jetty with a slightly heavier range?  Need help with my first Lamiglas...

The Ron Arra series are great at throwing light stuff but as Levari said they do break easily, even easier around rocks.

Some of the factory rods also had poor guide placement - 1083-2

OK, so the Arra is not the call for the rocks...not quite sure how much jetty fishing I'll end up doing, so I'll just stick with my Triumph for that.   

I'm interested in trying a Lamiglas, but don't need another 9 or 10ft rod just yet, which is why I was looking towards something to handle the lighter stuff.  I'll have to go into the shop and check them out to make the right call, but I did like my friends 1084, anyone have feedback on the 961? 

I used a 9 ft surf king for a whopping 3 months and the tip snapped off and before that a few of the guides started to break. A friend of mine has the 9 ft Arra and he throws 3-3.5 ounces with ease and it does not over weigh the rod. I am sawing it up and sending it back to Lami to get an Arra. Everything I have heard about the Arra is great regarding the beach. As for the rocks, my friend uses it off the rocks and doesn't have any issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepshax View Post

This is the one i have, great rod. i love it for anything in the bay and fluke on the beach. Mines paired with a spheros 4k

Defiantly under rated.  I paired it with a Cabo 40.  Looking to put a smaller reel this spring

I have the 1 piece 9' Arra and the two piece 9' GSB.

If you like I can bring em to the Food Fling. You're welcome to test cast them in the field.

won't be in town for the food fling, thanks for the generous offer though.

Might be passing by a store that should have both today, so I'm going stop by and take a look at them and see what additional info they have to offer to further confuse me.... plenty of time to figure it out.