Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NS Mike D

Big Apple Pulled Pork Sammies: Go Giants

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Was asked to make pulled pork for tomorrow's game, so I what better than a Big Apple theme

Rubbed with my own low salt mix (I am using commercial stuff less and less as I find them salty), and injected two butts with apple juice, using apple wood in for the smoke and made a melting pot bbq sauce combining the best of KC and SC, ketchup-based homemade bbq sauce, but doubled the apple cider.

Tomorrow I'll be making a cider vinegar mayo-less slaw.

Just lit the coals so I should be done my late morning , noon the latest. I'll hold the butts in a towel lined cooler until I am ready to pull them.

So how are they looking? Pretty cold last night! Going to cook one tomorrow but it's going to get stewed with chilies, carne adovada style.

I've gotten some rubs as gifts and some of them absolutely ruined some ribs. Butts have been more tolerant of the salt. Have one now I haven't tried yet. Coffee is first ingredient, salt is 8th, and sea salt no less. Hopefully it makes something good happen.

the bbq guru made life easy. Set it for 230, loaded up with royal oak and applewood, and no issues. Plenty of fuel left by morning.

less salt and more vinegar was my goal- I am very happy with the results, and best I can tell, the guests really appreciated the style. No left overs and I could over hear compliments all night as guest were urging other guests to sample it.

Turns out one guy just got a BGE for the holidays and a wife was in the market for a birthday gift and asked me about it. I told her that I agree with Scott that if you had to get one backyard appliance it would be the BGE, and that Little says get the table!.

Scott, I feel for you. I just did two butts and since I was going to give the a long rest foiled and towel in the cooler, I took just one check and took them off the cooker at 192 (they came to identical temperature at the same time. IMO, the long rest in the cooler is going to give sufficient time for all the connective tissue to break down without needing to find that perfect moment to remove them. At 192 they were close enough to "butter" when I inserted the probe thermometer, and at 18 degrees outside I wasn't about to spend anymore time probing than I had too.

I can't imagine standing in front of that spicewine cooker in that temp checking a dozen butts in that cold.

I must admit I went down to phils house to use the trailer and the FEC....was still freezing ass cold out!

yes it was

what's up with the florida trip and 140 lbs of pork butts? I know you like to kayak down there