Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThaJimC

January in MTK?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey all

Wifey and I decided on a whim to drive out to MTK this weekend. I had some old hotel credit burning a hole in my pocket.

I brought my gear primarily with the thought of just getting in the surf and practicing some casting, but is there any actual fishing to be had?? Any body been out?

Cheers,

Jim

In the surf? It's possible, I guess (water's a little warm for this time of year) but the probability of success is kinda low.

If you can get access to it,fish the outlet to Napeague Bay or perhaps Lake Montauk in the afternoon on a falling tide on a sunny day.

There's a remote chance of herring in mtk harbor. An even more remote chance of striped bass. This is the time of year to treat your wife to a gift certificate to the Gurneys Spa. MayBe have dinner at Harvest. Or you can ditch her and hop on a boat for cod, but that's your decision lol. If you bundle up, you can go for some nice walks, photograph the seals. If you surf, this is the time of year when you can surf the lighthouse and north side. If it feels a bit too remote you can drive back to 'gansett or East Hampton for dinner at a place like Rowdy Hall and maybe a movie.