Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beachtoad

t 12 to t 5 conversion

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for the end plates to make the conversion. I have the 4' bulbs and ballasts and ends. I am looking for the sheet metal ends to change out. I have no idea what to call them. anyone know where to order them? Or what there called? Need pictures of what Im doing?

Thanks

Glen

I don't think he's looking for the 'tombstones'. I think he's looking for the sheet metal piece they fit in to. I haven't seen them sold separately. A T12 to T8 conversion is easier.

Are you retrofitting old T12 fixtures to T8? Sounds like this is what you are trying to do with the old lamps/ballasts/sockets from your shop. If so, no sheet metal is required. T12 and T8 lamps are the same length, share the same end-pin configuration and the same sockets/tombstones. Just take out the old lamps and ballasts, wire in the new ballasts and relamp. Follow the wiring configuration on the ballast (might be different from the old wiring configuration).

If you are trying to retrofit old T12/T8 fixtures with T5 lamps, you are gonna have problems. T5 lamps have a much smaller end-pin configuration. T5 lamps are also different lengths than T12 and T8 lamps. Most T12 and T8 fixtures are not easily retrofitted to T5 lamps without costly retrofit kits. Might be cheaper and easier to just get a brand new T5 fixture.

I have the 8' bulbs in mine now. I have the T5s ballests and tombstones. I have 2 covers under the 8' bulbs now. I think I can just change sheet metal on each end and put new metal in middle to hold tombstones in middle then the 4 four foot bulbs should fit right in. Saw all the retro fits at shop done same way. Just nobody knows where to get sheet metal plates. This is a total pita...lol Thaks for the help guys. I know I'll get it figured out some time.

Not that easy. Two T5 lamps are not the same length as one 8-ft long T12 lamp.

Gonna have to do something sooner or later, though. Many 8-ft T12 lamps will no longer be manufactured after July of this year.

Hey there are a lot of different things going on here at once.

It is true the t-12 ballast will be banned from production June 30 2012.

Home depot has already moved all existing stocks of t-12 to the front of the racks and pushed to t-8 to the rear, to move their stocks. 

Buying t-12s is a waste of money due to the fact they will need to be replaced shortly with t-8 tech.  Also the new t-8/t-5 tech. is far more energy effecent.

To convert the existing 8' t-12 surface mount fixtures to the desired 4' t-8 fixtures it is best to buy snap together reflector kits.  When you remove the existing ballast/bulbs you can replace the bottom of the metal box with the reflectors, these will have knock-out holes designed to fit the tombstones you need in the middle.

The reflector will also allow you to use more of the light (it now goes into the ceiling).

In addition the conditions of the building you are in will determine the need for t-8 or t-5 lighting.

very high (+18'-20') or cold (unconditioned) space require t-5.  otherwise t-8 is preferred as the bulbs run cooler and do not burn out as often.

please remember to safely dispose of the bulbs and ballast as they are toxic to the environment.

Also what state are the lights located in, is it in a commercial or residential building as there are state programs with rebates or funding for replacements.

Not that easy. Two T5 lamps are not the same length as one 8-ft long T12 lamp.

Gonna have to do something sooner or later, though. Many 8-ft T12 lamps will no longer be manufactured after July of this year.

We are in the process at work of switching over all of our 8' lights over to four 4' lights. They ain't even wasting the money on retrofitting the old lights. Old ones come down and the new ones go up. Price wise its cheaper for the electrician to take the old ones down and put the new ones up them mess around with changing them over.

Electric company came in and is gonna give my boss a huge rebate for switching over.

Most of the local recycling places will take the old sheet metal from the old lights too, not a big deal if you only have a couple but when you got over 100 it all adds up.

Think we are up to about 140 lights so far.

Like i said i got all the t5 stuff for free. I wanna swap my 8't12sway i think thats what i have to my free t5 setup.. i have ballasts tombstones and bulbs. I am looking for the tombstone holders for my 8'old lights.