Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Open boat tuna and braided line on LI

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Most of my tuna trips have been on the Viking boats out of Montauk, which don't permit the use of braid for chunking for tuna. Another poster mentioned that it's OK for jigging, and if the crowd is light the mates might wink at braided line; but most fishing is done by chunking or trolling, mono only.

Are there any partyboats on Long Island that fish for tuna and allow braid as a matter of course? Please advise.

Mono or floro/mono are required most of the time for one reason , tuna have remarkable eyesight ... Livelining , floaters or chunking in the daytime is the only way to increase your hook-up %. I've used a front shot leader while jigging em also,with braided line ,but mono is easier to untangle if need be vs. braided line ... Personally I would not want to grab braided line with a high fueled tunny in full gear trying to stay free...

Mono or floro/mono are required most of the time for one reason , tuna have remarkable eyesight ... Livelining , floaters or chunking in the daytime is the only way to increase your hook-up %. I've used a front shot leader while jigging em also,with braided line ,but mono is easier to untangle if need be vs. braided line ... Personally I would not want to grab braided line with a high fueled tunny in full gear trying to stay free...

Good advice there T. Will keep that in mind. :D

The tangling problem is probably the major problem. Issues of tuna eyesight are easily solved by a mono or fluoro topshot. Still, the San Diego boats fish with braid running line as a matter of course.

I was speaking with a tackle dealer today who said that the difference is that West Coast mates are absolutely in charge of the deck, whereas Montauk captains and mates pretty much let the crowd on the deck sort things out as they like, whatever the result. It's a matter of how the deck is run, not really the lines in use.

No one really fishes braid direct for tuna. Its normay used as a backer with a mono top shot on top. I have all my offshore gear set up that way, braid backing and a 100yd top shot of mono. With that being said I rarely get down to the braid while chunking and once in a while trolling if im sending a lure way back. Even 100-125lb bluefins caught chunking havent got me down tot he braid backing. If you set your reels up in this fasion I dought youll have a problem with any boats. If you get lucky and hook somthing thats going to dump more then 100yds of 80lb mono top shot im sure the crew will be as curious as you are to see what youve got and not haave a problem with it. Tagles do happen alot chunking so expect to replace the mono top shot. As for jiggin I normaly use about a 30' section on mono on the end of my braid.

Nice point. I believe I will set up my one International, a 30 2-speed, along those lines.

Apropos of this discussion, I tried the guys at Trophy Tackle and liked them, so they'll get to re-spool the 30 for me. Hollow braid and a topshot for that reel.

John and the crew at Trophy are a great bunch of guys. John's away right now on one of the San Diego long range tuna trips, and I believe he has a turn around trip scheduled. They landed HUNDREDS of tuna on this last trip apparently. He would be a good guy to talk to about the differences in fishing between here and there.

PBJ had me set up my reels similar to his. And the boat I fish on, has JB 130 on all his set-ups (Tiagra 50's, 30's and 16's). The reason for the 130 is because it's actually cheaper than the lower weight hollow lines (something with the thread count and/or weave of how it's made). But they are all full of 130# braid with the appropriate top weight 100 yard top shots which are quickly and easily changed out with loop-loop connections. As was stated, never been down the braid on the chunk, but trolling have dumped the spools into the braid while continuing to troll to get more bites.

Who's that happy guy with the dead tuna?

Hi Bri.

I'm going to put in my .2c, from my experiences. This is what I've noticed from taking these trips.

I'm far from A veteran, but I did do A few multi day trips and been fortunate enough to expeience

A 5 day canyon trip. If a majority of the guys are fishing mono, Then you fish mono. If you start

fishing braid and there's multiple hook-ups and there's wraps going on, you have the chinese

fire drill happening. There's A good chance the braid is going to cut your fellow anglers line and

he looses the fish and ends up puturbed.. The mono is mainly A chunking and trolling thing.

when jigging the reels are more compact for the reason, who wants to jig with A 50w, it's back

breaking and not to say that I haven't done it. When you have that smaller jigging out-fit with that

reel that holds less line capacity, then the braid is A must and I can comfortably say 99% of the

fairs are yo-yo jigging braid with A header of heavy mono leader material.

I hope this helps. :)

The tangling problem is probably the major problem. Issues of tuna eyesight are easily solved by a mono or fluoro topshot. Still, the San Diego boats fish with braid running line as a matter of course.

I was speaking with a tackle dealer today who said that the difference is that West Coast mates are absolutely in charge of the deck, whereas Montauk captains and mates pretty much let the crowd on the deck sort things out as they like, whatever the result. It's a matter of how the deck is run, not really the lines in use.

The big difference is that of the west coast long range trip is that those guys all know how to fish. On the east coast, not so. The west coasters are simply better at it than we are.

That's more or less what the Trophy Tackle guys were saying. The mates on the West Coast boats maintain a much tighter control of the deck, and the fares don't argue the matter. Here, a lot of guys would do exactly that.

The reel I've used the most, and which has most of my lifetime tuna on it, is a Sealine 900H; 400 yards 80 lb. mono. (The gent at TT approved, he said they just don't break.)

That's the normal order of business for chunking. I do like to bring a jig setup and don't have a good one (Billy Urvelak, many years ago when I was running on board one of the Viking boats, looked at the 1670 and 1870 Pacificstiks) I'd brought and asked, "you think you're fishing for trout or something?") So a more suitable rod will be acquired, though I must note that the 18-something rod did jig a few tuna for me. The reel end of that will be satisfied by the Torque 300.

The I-30 2-speed is a work in progress. I do have a rod that'll be fine for it, but I would like to exploit that big drag to the max with braid under the mono. I'll see what the advice from TT may be.

Do you gents bring pre-measured topshots of your preferred mono on these trips?

My favorite for chunking is A Shimano TLD 50 LRS. It holds A touch more than 400 yards of 80# momoi diamond.

I favor calstar graphiters for rods. Same goes for trolling.

Jigging I use A 4/0 senator loaded with an 80 braid, then A 50 yard header of A 80 #color coaded line attached

with A double uni. After A bimini is tied and A Loop to loop connection to A prefactory top shot, joined to the jig

with A Sandiago jam knot. SIMPLE !!!! :)