Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calfarmli

Surf fishing and Gear for Key West ???

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Were going to Key West in April,I would LOVE to fish for Tarpon.I looked up some guides and can't afford to spend between 6 to 9 hundred dollars on that.I'm an avid surf guy and I 'm wondering if i can surf fish for Tarpon in Key West or near there.Also what would be the best rod and reel.Thanks

While there are certainly saltwater shoreline situations where you can fish, there are no true 'surf fishing' enviroments (as we're used to here in the NE) anywhere in Key West - or most of the keys for that matter. Your best bet is to find some information about some of the more productive bridges or channels in the area

Long surf rods are not the norm down there...even the fishermen trying for large fish such as sharks or tarpon use short, but stout rods

Head down to the tackle shop that's next to the Half Shell Raw Bar, they will steer you in the right direction with the right lures, baits and accessible locations. I believe they also rent rods on a daily basis.You can fish at Fort Zach T (west side only, away from the bathing area), White St Pier & Mallory Square. Best bet is to rent bicycles, parking can be a real bitch in Old Town. Everything worth seeing and going to is in bicycle distance. If you want to see (not catch) some tarpon, wait for the party boats to come back in. Tarpon know when it's feeding time ;)

Charter Boat Row I call it right across highway from Trumbo Pt you might find a Capt looking to fill a split charter , seen a couple signs when walking by boats.most of snow birds gone by April so never know what is going on