Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmy z

Extreme low tides this morning

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I took advantage of the extreme low tide this AM here in Ct. where I live. This gave me the opportunity to see some channels and bars I don't normally see in regular low tide conditions. I was amazed to see how some areas were laid out. I have a different view of some of these areas now. One area specifically has a channel running very close to the shore line. At this spot I used to cast way out, and after seeing this, I realize that long casts will not be necessary to get to the edge of the channel. Especially with an eel.. smile.gif

Awesome. Yeah i know exactly what you mean I fished an inlet for years from the shore then I got a boat and with a depth finder now I see the channels and drop offs where action would be. Now I do better when I fish that inlet from the shore.

An effort weel spent. You know the old saying  10% of the fishermen catch  90% of the fish.

I think you will have a plesant surprise next time you go down to your old spot w/ the new information under your hat.

TIGHT LINES

LOU

You are so right about scouting at low "extreme tides". Information is very valuable. If you have a digital camera, take pictures so you can refer to them in the future. Now you will know where the deep holes are and the flow of water channels. Good luck using the info in the Spring. JP

jimmy z,

Major question. Are the places you are scouting very rocky? I ask because being an NJ fisherman with mostly sand beaches, bottom configuration will change dramatically from storm to storm so where the bar or channel was yesterday may not be the same as today. Even the jetties will not necessarily have the same cuts or sand configuration on their sides or at their tips depending on current, wind, etc.

How can you be sure that the bottoms you are seeing will be the same in the Spring?

The tides were extremely low, I mean about a 1 1/2 to two feet lower than usual.  I don't fish sandy beaches, heck the only ones here in Ct are public beaches and I don't fish those.smile.gif I know changes occur, but what I'm talking about is cut channels, for boats, deeper water, with sand bar on the outskirts. In regular low tide conditions these are not obvious as they were when I viewed them. 

I fish areas that are rocky, many have salt ponds that dump into the sound, or in RI, the ocean. Channels are forms by this fast moving water. The bass hug the sides of the channel, in rocky areas. But many times one can only sense what they are feeling. Seeing the bottom in these areas, especially the bars and rocks gave me a new perspective on how I'm gonna fish these areas. I fished Jersey years back and it's a different scene in Ct, and RI especially.

And yes, the beach is different, because is is too subject to change! smile.gif

I went out at low tide yesterday on a tidal area of the Delaware. I learned some really useful things. I actually came across a homeless guy camped out in the woods and he asked me what I was doing. I told him 'fishing'. I think I scared him.

I went out yesterday to practice Surf Casting at one of my beach spots with the new Abu conventional I picked up off StriperTC, and encountered the aforementioned extremely low tides.  I was utterly amazed at the layout of the area, and discovered a sand bar point that I had no idea was where it was, and that it extends out so much further than I could ever have possibly conceived of.  Further, I could actually see the drop off contour that hasn't been washed away by tide action, and now understand why I do better on one part of the point than another.

Probably the most educational part of the whole thing for me, was that I found the exact location of the hurricane driven tree that probably has over $150 of my tackle on it, and know how to avoid it next year.

Oh, I also discovered that with the exception of cold fingers, I really like the idea of conventional surf casting for bait soaking.  It was my first time attempting it, and I only got a backlash when I tried to control the distance of the cast and really winging it, instead of going with it.

Good job. This is exactly what I was saying. You see things never seen before with this extreme low tide. 

I was actually able to walk way out on one bar that is always covered by water at a normal low tide. I wasn't even wearing waders. This area will definitely be fished differently now 

Tides like this is what I "hear" a lot of fisherman look for.Fisherman can see holes and channels where the cows hold. Fisherman look for mussel beds where bait can feed along with holes that will hold fish during normal tides. I do not think it is coincidence that the same people hang cows on the scales in the usual tornaments. They all have there "own holes" they can see because of these tides. If I am not mistaken these tides usually happen 1 or 2 times a year and some fisherman are fortunate to see this.

......... If I am not mistaken these tides usually happen 1 or 2 times a year and some fisherman are fortunate to see this.

This is probably a stupid questions, but why is this ?

Does it have to do w/ the moon, or is it all weather related?

We had a full moon a few days ago, also depending upon the wind direction it will either blow the water in or hold it out. There is always a lag of a few days for "high highs" and "low lows" regarding the tide. The moon also will affect the the speed of the current.