Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Does anyone use the winter time....

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

...to go on scouting out new locations you might want to try later on during the season? I might be doing that myself tomorrow...and may even throw a rod in the car just in case (for fresh or saltwater opportunities)...:-)

I actually do, take a ride around a town you never fished it, investigate "fishable" areas and parking. sometimes I have read about a place in a fishing report and having not fished there, go check it out.

always keep a small rod in the truck, and bring my metal detector~

i use the winter to fly fish for sea run/salters in places i've fished and not fished before.

love chipping the ice off the guides and freezing my butt off.

helps me enjoy spring even more.

The best way to search is through a navionics program app from your smart phone. You'll be in your house and warm. It shows everything, tides currents wind rocks depths channels marina and stores on the water. It cost 14 dollars and is well worth it.

I do all sorts of research, it keeps me sane through the winter. In fact, I'm taking a ride this week to check out where I can park to access some remote trout waters for next spring.

The only scouting I've been doing is down at the new Bears Den Fly Fishing location in the Taunton Industrial Park, CMS tackle, and wherever the good sales are going on! So far I've accumulated a couple G's in outfitting for this season...

Best time to go scouting as you are not sacrificing a good day during the season when you know you can catch fish. Lately I have been looking into difficult access and where I could possibly gain entrance or launch a kayak nearby to reach out of the way places and spots I have not fished. Also have to relearn access to places places I used to fish that had easy access 45 years ago and no longer do. More enjoyable and I usually wait for a mild day 48 degrees or higher.

The best way to search is through a navionics program app from your smart phone. You'll be in your house and warm. It shows everything, tides currents wind rocks depths channels marina and stores on the water. It cost 14 dollars and is well worth it.

I spend HOURS on the Navionics program as well as Google earth. You would be surprised at what you see at tight zom levels ;)

I heard you really like to do your research. You think it, helps clients get more fish in season? I also heard you can enter the way points and marked positions into your on board gps. It has helped me. The only problem is my phone broke and you can't get your way points, tracks and marked positions through google. Remember to back up your info on a.computer or you could lose yours as well.

One of my favorite research tools is topographic maps. Certainly not too useful for fishing the salt coast but great for inland waters and forgotten streams and brooks. I've had my pile of topo's for many years and they are getting pretty ratty, but have recently found that there are free online topo maps. You can print out sections of the maps with your printer. One more tool.