Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seapimp

Newbie looking to get started

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Gentlemen I have been fishing my whole life and moved to the beach 20 yrs. Ago so I could striper fish Anytime I wanted .was permenatly injured in a staging collapse 14 mo. Ago and that put an end to my career so now I have nothing but time on my hands and have been researching lure making non stop for about 6 mo. Im in the process of setting up my shop now.was told about this site by an old timer I know at the docks and he wasn't wrong this is the place I needed to go to get the info I need .so was wondering if I could occasionally pick your brains with some newbie questions .your help will be much appreciated and anything I can help with feel free to ask ( been a carpenter for the last 20 yrs. ) I hope I'll be in the position to return the favors to others someday . I have found a ton of info already so thanx for everything so far .

Gentlemen I have been fishing my whole life and moved to the beach 20 yrs. Ago so I could striper fish Anytime I wanted .was permenatly injured in a staging collapse 14 mo. Ago and that put an end to my career so now I have nothing but time on my hands and have been researching lure making non stop for about 6 mo. Im in the process of setting up my shop now.was told about this site by an old timer I know at the docks and he wasn't wrong this is the place I needed to go to get the info I need .so was wondering if I could occasionally pick your brains with some newbie questions .your help will be much appreciated and anything I can help with feel free to ask ( been a carpenter for the last 20 yrs. ) I hope I'll be in the position to return the favors to others someday . I have found a ton of info already so thanx for everything so far .

Ask away buddy. The members here are always willing to help and are a great bunch of guys and gals!!!!!!! Oh, and welcome to the site! Its kinda a tradition around here for you to post in the main forum and tell a joke. Looking forward to reading your posts and good luck with your new hobby also

Ditto on ethompson........AND, before you ask a question try the search function or these guys will climb all over you. Lots of info covered and always new info being shared. Welcome to the world of Plugologism. There's no turning back.

Welcome. The Search feature will help you tons, but it won't help with all the little things. How do you plan on starting? Are you going to be using a lather or are you handcarving? What plugs are you mainly interested in? like answering questions, but I can only help with the basics. I'm far, far away from being a proficient builder. That's most of the fun though. It's a long journey. :D

Thanks guys ,I fiqure I will start with the first posting ever put up and work my way back to present day.that way I should learn from the beginning and hopefully not ask the same questions you have answered many times before. As far as the joke goes I'll have to see what I can come up with ,can't remember the last time someone told me a joke . I'm hoping I can be of some help to anyone out there .I live in Salisbury beach ,Ma. So if there is something you can't get where your from please feel free to ask .back to my research <{{^}}}<

Don't feel bad about asking questions. Plenty of things have changed over the years and new ideas. Rather than reading all of the posts from the beginning, you might try searching on the main topics: types of wood, how to seal plugs, priming/painting, clear coats, and similar topics. This will give you a starting point. Asking specific questions related to what you are building can be real useful.

Jigman

One piece of advise that helped me out greatly came for Jigman. The one thing he said was to get used to building ONE specific plug until you are totally confident that you have built it to how you want it to work for the way you fish. I took that advise and started off building a pencil. I thought it would be the easiest to do. Well, I found out fast that its not exactly easy. LOL. Even though it swam the way I wanted it too, it didn't cast the way I wanted it too. I did eventually get that right and now I have made others. Hope that makes sense and helps.

Here is something that helped me, finish your screw up plugs. You learn alot about what you want when you make something you don't. Lets say you mess up the lip slot but your happy with the overall shape and size of your plug. Go ahead and fill the slot with putty and recut. Then get it to primer then assemble and swim it. Dont let yourself get upset over a body that you mess up.

Jigs is so right about learning one plug. When I first started I wanted to make all of the plugs that I had seen in the stores and always wanted. That was the biggest mistake I made, I got so frustrated looking at all of the different plugs I was making and non of them turned out right, and it almost turned me off of it.

I would also add that when learning to make one plug also make it an easy plug, don't go starting with something like a Jointed Darter or bottle plug. Go with something like a Pencil, a Popper, or something of that sort, which doesn't need a lot of work, but it can be done different ways to make it do different things.

That leads me to this, if it getting really frustrating, take a step away and come back later. Just like in anything, when frustration starts to kick in, you tend to make mre mistakes and get frustrated more.

As for a little tip I like to give when starting out turning plugs, some good cloth backed heavy grit sandpaper will help greatly when shaping plugs and sanding all the gouges, lines and tearouts. Just remember that when you use something like this you will be taking a ton of wood away with softer woods leave yourself a little room to allow you to sand without making the plug too thin. This was one of the things I was taught years ago to help make it easier for me. Cause unless you have a backround on the lathe, (if that is the way you are gonna go) there is a learning curve, and this is where turning one style to learn is a good Idea.

Good Luck! Have Fun! Cant wait to see some stuff, and like other have said feel free to ask questions, Just ask Mokes, it helps a lot. Hey Mokes! :hi5:

Here is something that helped me, finish your screw up plugs. You learn alot about what you want when you make something you don't. Lets say you mess up the lip slot but your happy with the overall shape and size of your plug. Go ahead and fill the slot with putty and recut. Then get it to primer then assemble and swim it. Dont let yourself get upset over a body that you mess up.

Ditto on that. I am a beginner and I've messed up a lot of plugs already. I turn them into something else when I mess up. Well something smaller anyway!

I am pretty much a newbie too. I am making some topwater lures to start with for fresh and salt.

Needle fish like below are easy and Spooks are simple. This is just 3/4" dowel cut 6" long and drilled and run on the belt sander. I do a little different than others. I run the through wire and then fill the center cavity with lead from the jig pour pot to set the center wire and add my belly weight.

[img=

I made one as an attempt and it floats fine so more are to be sanded today or very soon. I did the center weight plus drilled another more aft.

p><p>  At 4.5" it a large freshwater or regular salt water popper lure. Two pieces of poplar light glued, then drilled and sanded. Then broke back open, through wired, add BB

[img=

Make one and then copy it. I got full of my self and mt abilities last year. I love Smithwick devil horse lures for Large-mouth Bass. I have not seen them since i was a kid, so as a builder, I have to make some. I though a muskie might want some, so I though wired them. Here is the assortment pre-test

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/archeryrob/Lures/SmithwickDevilHorse.jpg]

And the test, they slowly sink. :shock: Not the best attribute of a "top water" lure. You have the yank, yank yank all the time to keep the props above water. :mad: Learn to make one correct before many that suck!!!!! :p

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/archeryrob/Lures/DevilhorseFloat.jpg' alt='DevilhorseFloat.jpg'>

Thanx guys ,archer nice job on plugs and especially like the paint on the "heddon" spook .paint looks just like the two I bought. And they still make the devil hose ,bp sells them and so does * they actually own the co. Now along with creek chub ,heddon, lazy Ike, couple other ones too. Thanx guys