Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
googinator

NYS 4x4 pass tire size regs ????

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

They used to have a guy at Hither Hills that used to check with a stick with tape on it. All you really had to do with him was to let aair out of your tires until they were the height of the tape.

If I recall correctly...years ago, they never had a tire size rule, then they added it and would actually check your tires and all required equipment when getting the permit. But for years now, they stopped checking anything when issuing the permit. I've been running oversized tires for years and haven't heard of anyone getting hassled for it on the beach. If they rules were based on best and safest beach travel, they should prefer larger tires to help flotation and avoid beach damage. In reality, I believe the tire size rule may have had something to do with keeping hot doggers with big aggressive tires off the beach.

The cops won't give you a problem. You won't have a problem at gilgo/sorethumb either, but at demo the parks people will f@@k with you sometimes. I have 37x12.5x17 tires (bought it used that way) and at the beginining of last season at demo I was airing down when I was approached by a parks dept employee who asked to see my permit. I gave it to him and he said my tires were to big and he confiscating the permit. He gave the permit back only because I'm an ex cop. So I guess my advice is if you see a parks guy in the booth or if your asked for the permit just leave. I'll also add that the Suffolk county parks permit doesn't have a tire restriction and is open year round. The negative is the permit is 93 dollars resident 200 dollars non resident and you have to get a green key( good for 3 years) approx. 25 dollars. The permit is good for: Smith Point County Park: Outer Beach is open. For updates on Outer Beach conditions, please call (631) 852-1315.

Cupsogue Beach County Park: open for Outer Beach camping (20 campers) and camping on parking lot (10 campers). Outer Beach road is open.

Theodore Roosevelt County Park: Outer Beach is open. For up-to-date conditions please call the Park Office at (631)852-7879

Shinnecock East: is open and fully accessible at this time.

Charles F. Altenkirck County Park, formerly known as Shinnecock West County Park: Outer Beach is closed to any vehicle access.

Cedar Point County Park: Outer Beach is open. Outer Beach camping is not permitted.

Good luck.

The cops won't give you a problem. You won't have a problem at gilgo/sorethumb either, but at demo the parks people will f@@k with you sometimes. I have 37x12.5x17 tires (bought it used that way) and at the beginining of last season at demo I was airing down when I was approached by a parks dept employee who asked to see my permit. I gave it to him and he said my tires were to big and he confiscating the permit. He gave the permit back only because I'm an ex cop. So I guess my advice is if you see a parks guy in the booth or if your asked for the permit just leave. I'll also add that the Suffolk county parks permit doesn't have a tire restriction and is open year round. The negative is the permit is 93 dollars resident 200 dollars non resident and you have to get a green key( good for 3 years) approx. 25 dollars. The permit is good for: Smith Point County Park: Outer Beach is open. For updates on Outer Beach conditions, please call (631) 852-1315.

Cupsogue Beach County Park: open for Outer Beach camping (20 campers) and camping on parking lot (10 campers). Outer Beach road is open.

Theodore Roosevelt County Park: Outer Beach is open. For up-to-date conditions please call the Park Office at (631)852-7879

Shinnecock East: is open and fully accessible at this time.

Charles F. Altenkirck County Park, formerly known as Shinnecock West County Park: Outer Beach is closed to any vehicle access.

Cedar Point County Park: Outer Beach is open. Outer Beach camping is not permitted.

Good luck.

Maybe we should be asking Parks to consider changing this rule, given that so many trucks are coming with 17" rims. It's not much in mods for improved beach ride, that you could be exceeding the rules. What do you say, up to 37", then we would all be legal. Let me know and I will make a call to ask.

Jack

Maybe we should be asking Parks to consider changing this rule, given that so many trucks are coming with 17" rims. It's not much in mods for improved beach ride, that you could be exceeding the rules. What do you say, up to 37", then we would all be legal. Let me know and I will make a call to ask.

Jack

I agree. My tires are big, but not rediculous. The thing is, my width is legal, but the height is illegal. I don't understand how height effects the sand/beach and Suffolk parks have no tire restrictions.