Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
levari

Cook your own catch...

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Looks good. is there crab in the fishcake or just fish? Been on the ice now for almost 3 hours, the bite is pretty good. So I think we will be making something with LL Salmon tonight. Nothing like cooking your catch :)

Looks good. is there crab in the fishcake or just fish? Been on the ice now for almost 3 hours, the bite is pretty good. So I think we will be making something with LL Salmon tonight. Nothing like cooking your catch :)

No crab but some chopped shrimp as well...

Nope, a crab cake with fish and shrimp instead of crab...:D

In MD, crabcakes are the state food.

Not to denigrate your...er, fishcake (looks good btw) but....that's not a crabcake. ;)

Not to denigrate your...er, fishcake (looks good btw) but....that's not a crabcake. ;)

When I was a kid, we could not afford beef...My mom was cooking a chicken using a lot of paprika and the sauce was brown. We called the dish..chicken in beef sauce...So, please .don't tell someone who grew up on that beef sauce that the cake in the picture is not a crab cake...;)

When I was a kid, we could not afford beef...My mom was cooking a chicken using a lot of paprika and the sauce was brown. We called the dish..chicken in beef sauce...So, please .don't tell someone who grew up on that beef sauce that the cake in the picture is not a crab cake...;)

Oh, hey...same deal here (well maybe not exactly) I'm one of four...my mom was the eldest of five during the depression. Even though we could sometimes afford a real crabcake (not going to let that go) especially if we caught, cooked and picked them ourselves, she was very frugal. She actually became a self-taught gourmet (no formal training, but with some help). Our meals were staples infused with a little inventiveness. Enough variation to keep us from whining too much (actually meals were seldom boring, and usually quite the opposite). One of the regular/irregular concoctions was salmon cakes (from canned salmon, bought on sale...we didn't call them crabcakes) canned tomato soup (made with evaporated milk...another trick) and some kind of fresh green vegetable (asparagus in the spring was a treat)

One generation back, my grandmother (who was around until the mid 90s) lived on a triple lot in town. They canned (put up) their own food for a family of seven, all grown on the empty lot...pear and apple trees all around the houses, grape vines on trellises over head. I remember the shelves along the walls in the back hallway floor to ceiling with a years supply of jars of beans and jellies and deer and birds and...Made their own bread daily (I still have her old Hoosier Hutch). The only things they bought were meat (and not much of that) milk and dairy (they were country folks, now in the city, so... no cows and chickens.)

jrhjr, Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed reading your post...I got the crab cake recipe from a top chef from a big hotel in FL. I found out that if I use the fish instead, it tastes as good. One of the members here gave me the idea of adding the chopped shrimp in the mix during a recent fishing trip....It works very well.

jrhjr, Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed reading your post...I got the crab cake recipe from a top chef from a big hotel in FL. I found out that if I use the fish instead, it tastes as good. One of the members here gave me the idea of adding the chopped shrimp in the mix during a recent fishing trip....It works very well.

Cool...

No slight.

I often make Stripercakes or Cobiacakes or Salmoncakes or whatnot.

If you're ever down this way PM me; I'll make you a crabcake.;)