Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tidewaterfly

Glue for lips?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

OK, this is my first attempt with this type of lure. I bought a couple of these from an Ebay seller, and asked him about gluing the lip. He said super glue, but was'nt sure as he didn't build lures. This is a 10" Jake body, and my intention is to give it a try as a trolling lure for Striper's in the spring.

So, what type of glue would you folks recommend for attaching the lip to the body? Both are a plastic material and the lip comes unattached.

Thanks!

Devcon 2 ton 30 minute epoxy. The lip looks like it is in backwards. I would test it with that lip before you glue it in. Looks a little long for that angle. Also be aware that a plastic lip will break easily, especially in cold weather. Lexan would be a better option for the lip.

Jigman

Jig Man, thanks for the reply! I don't know what type of plastic that lip is made from, but I am familiar with using Devcon epoxy. I've used the 2 ton 60 or 90 minute quite a bit for making flies & gluing weed guards into bass jigs.

I have a piece of lexan, so may play with that too. I also thought the lip looked odd & appeared upside down.

Don't know about the lip length & angle. Some Jake type finished lures I've seen seemed like the lip length & angle was not right!

When you say test it, do you mean how it swims with the lip as it's shown? If so, I guess I should put hooks & split rings on it too, as that would certainly have an effect on it. Am I correct?

rig it as if you are going to fish it.put some tape on the lip in the area that is in the lurer body so it will be a snug fit. it looks unusual from what i can see of the lip but i don't think it will go in the other way.

Tidewater,

I love jakes and I agree with Jig Man, the lip is upside down in the pic, but from the pic it does look like the correct size. I also echo Jig Man on the glue, Devcon 2 ton 30 min epoxy will not break loose.

Good luck,

MS

Yep, rig with hooks/rings just like you would fishing it. Like others mentioned, a little tape to hold the lip in snug. A light lob cast is all you need. Just want to know before you glue stuff in and finish that it will swim right. Looking at it again, I think jrhopkins is right, the lip slot was made for the lip to go that way. Not sure why? If the test indicates the plug swims fine, no problem, finish it. If it does not swim right, might have to play around with lexan lips some.

Jigman

Folks, I appreciate the replies! Thanks for your input. As soon as I can get the chance I'll see how these swim & go from there. I've been tying flies & pouring lead for many, many years, but am just getting more involved with this type of lure. I've bought some used lures recently, with the idea of playing with painting them, and have been reading a lot of what you guys have posted here & some on other sites about building lures & painting. I don't know if I'll ever get into turning wood or not, but the awesome stuff you guys post sure is inspiring! Thanks again!

Jim

Thanks again for the replies! You guys are great! :th:

I've been playing with the lures a bit and apparently that picture has the lip positioned upside down, so you guys were correct.

The lip will fit in the slot either way. I did not take that picture, it's from the Ebay listing. I guess the seller didn't know the difference either. :(

I'm just glad I figured that out before I epoxied them in place backwards! :waah: