Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
born to fish 12

stripe bass lures or bait

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Zara spooks are by far the most fun to fish, nothing beats a fish taking a lure from the surface, the only thing is for every 1 on the spook its 20 on soft plastic and a jig head

i usually night fish(since i work during the day) and do both, chunking with fresh bait either from tackle store or one i catch(usually bunker) and leave that while i wade and cast with my popper, needlefish or metal lip danny.

but yeah, nothing beats a bass taking lure out of the water

I started striper fishing about 50 years ago. My first was an 18 incher caught on my freshwater rod with 8 lb test and a jointed Mirro-Lure popper. Well, the bass wasn't the only one hooked. After that I caught countless bass over the decades on bucktails, popping plugs, Rebels, Bombers, Goo Goo Eyes and the like. But when my buddies and I finally got really serious, we fished nights with live eels. The number of big bass we caught was astounding. So----if you gave me 1 week in the spring or fall to catch a 40 or 50 pound bass for $1000,[ATTACHMENT=4121]bucktails.JPG (46k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT] I'd be using live eels or live bunker. (menhaden/pogies) BTW, live scup work really well, too.

Bait during the daylight and lures by night. Eels will work 24hrs a day and off the jetty at night I sometimes use dead eels rigged just like a lure.  In the surf I have had great luck using half a peeler crab.

There is no best. Everything has it's place and time.......

x 2. Whatever works, I agree there's something about getting hooked up on a swimmer or popper, but if they're catching them on bait and I'm standing there picking my nose and catching no fish, then I'll chuck bunker chunks, lob mullet or throw eels.

a better question would be what's everyone's personal best and favorite or this may go "surf vs boat" really quick :)

bait is just too messy for me, lures are incredible, but the tug is the drug for me, and fly fishing is the addiction. by far the lowest percentage rate but for me, it's just too much fun!