Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy the bass

Baitcaster reel

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello guys

I want to buy a baitcaster reel with a levelwind. I doubt about the shimano calcutta TE 400 or a Shimano 200 TE.

I use the baitcaster reel for jerkbaits: 3 to 5 oz.

Would the shimano be a good choice? Or do you have other ideas? Daiwa for example?

Like to hear the pros and cons. Thanks!

Calcutta 400b is more than enough or maybe a curado 300

either of these, I own both and would not hesitate to recommend either. The daiwa luna 300 would also be a good choice.

The Curado and Calcutta are the 2 reels preferred by many muskie anglers

Own all 3 mentioned along with dozens of more. If your talking distance the Curado will cast better than the Calcutta but the calctta IMO is a stronger reel.

Have you used a bait caster before? Are fishing from shore or off a boat?

Own all 3 mentioned along with dozens of more. If your talking distance the Curado will cast better than the Calcutta but the calctta IMO is a stronger reel.

Have you used a bait caster before? Are fishing from shore or off a boat?

No I didnt have used a bait caster before. I m fishing from shore. Dont have a boat.

Does anybody know the difference between the shimano calcutta 400TE and the 400B?

A new 400 TE will cost you $350.00 plus so being you have never used a bait caster before you may want to think about it before spending that type of money.

There is a learning curve in using these types of reels. It could be a nighymare at times & a ;ot of pepole get very frustrated when starting out with conventional reels.

You may want to start out with s used Abu 6500 level wind. You can find a decend one for around $60-$70.00 on the BST or the big auction site.

If for some reason it's not for you & you don't like the bait caster you haven't spend a fortune on a reel you'll never use. If you decide you like it,you can always sell the Abu & get the shimano or keep it as a back up.

I do recommend when first starting out you use mono. You will get birds nest & if using braid your going to have a lot of trouble with tangles.

Its a lot different than fishing a spinning reel. You want to start slow. Don't try & make record casts. Remembr you had to crawl before you were able walk.

Also the abus have been around for years & are a proven reel & pretty easy to work on. If you decide to go that way look for one that was made in Sweden.............

A new 400 TE will cost you $350.00 plus so being you have never used a bait caster before you may want to think about it before spending that type of money.

There is a learning curve in using these types of reels. It could be a nighymare at times & a ;ot of pepole get very frustrated when starting out with conventional reels.

You may want to start out with s used Abu 6500 level wind. You can find a decend one for around $60-$70.00 on the BST or the big auction site.

If for some reason it's not for you & you don't like the bait caster you haven't spend a fortune on a reel you'll never use. If you decide you like it,you can always sell the Abu & get the shimano or keep it as a back up.

I do recommend when first starting out you use mono. You will get birds nest & if using braid your going to have a lot of trouble with tangles.

Its a lot different than fishing a spinning reel. You want to start slow. Don't try & make record casts. Remembr you had to crawl before you were able walk.

Also the abus have been around for years & are a proven reel & pretty easy to work on. If you decide to go that way look for one that was made in Sweden.............

Thanks a lot. But I have to explain a little more to you. I have a lot of abu's, penn's and avet's. Convenional reels. But I dont have a baitcaster with a level wind.

When I buy the shimano it will be my first reel with a level wind. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. But I have to explain a little more to you. I have a lot of abu's, penn's and avet's. Convenional reels. But I dont have a baitcaster with a level wind.

When I buy the shimano it will be my first reel with a level wind. Hope this helps.

:huh: You said you never used a Bait caster but you have several???? Why do you want a level wind??

Look at the TE 300 size for what you are looking to do. You will be thrilled by this reel. Worth every $$$ I love the 400 B, but the TE is just the cats meow ! The levelwind will be fine for what you are looking to do...

Good luck !

Try the Abu Ambassadeur 6500C3. It is decently priced, has a levelwind, easy to cast control, easy to open up and clean at the end of the season (and tough enough not to have to open and clean also). Proven and reliable workhorse.

:huh: You said you never used a Bait caster but you have several???? Why do you want a level wind??

Sorry for my misunderstanding. My mistake! I thought you mean if I had a baitcaster with levelwind? I dont have a cs reel with levelwind.

Only ct reels. Abu 5500 en 6500 ct and a few abu ultra mag with mono mag control.

I m looking for a solid baitcaster reel with level wind for fishing with lures. So I dont have to control the line on the spool with my fingers.

Is the shimano calcutta easy to service by my self? Just like the abu's which are very easy for cleaning/servicing?

Sorry for my misunderstanding. My mistake! I thought you mean if I had a baitcaster with levelwind? I dont have a cs reel with levelwind.

Only ct reels. Abu 5500 en 6500 ct and a few abu ultra mag with mono mag control.

I m looking for a solid baitcaster reel with level wind for fishing with lures. So I dont have to control the line on the spool with my fingers.

Is the shimano calcutta easy to service by my self? Just like the abu's which are very easy for cleaning/servicing?

If you're looking for a good all-round level-wind bait-caster, the Calcutta B is really what you want. Strong, good caster, and easy enough to self service. I owned both the B and TE, and sold the TE after 2 trips....WAAy too much plastic on the inside for my taste. Also not as salt friendly because of all the parts. The TE levelwind also came apart on me in the middle of a trip, the insert is not well secured.

I have a 9/10 cosmetic 10/10 mechanical 400B I want to sell, listed in the BST for 160 with braid already on it.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/830607/calcutta-400b#post_8887177

(*edited - this was reported, but I'm leaving it up as it's an excellent example of how to respond to a post appropriately and then respectfully point out that you have the item listed in the BST Forum :th: TimS)

I'm impressed that Makomania services his Calcuttas, I think they're fairly complex. It'd be strong enough for the OP's jerkbaits, no doubt.

Daiwa sells a 5500 -size baitcaster, the Coastal, for around $150. Not as big and probably not as muscular but it's a nice little reel.

I'm impressed that Makomania services his Calcuttas, I think they're fairly complex. It'd be strong enough for the OP's jerkbaits, no doubt.

Daiwa sells a 5500 -size baitcaster, the Coastal, for around $150. Not as big and probably not as muscular but it's a nice little reel.

I've taken all my reels apart at one point or another...I opened my stella FA the day I got it (and got everything back in too) :p

In response to the strength of the Calcuttas, I used my TE to land a 6.5' Lemon shark on a trip to florida :D. And the charter boat I worked on the past few years trolls with the Bs for stripers, plenty of 40lb fish have fallen to those reels.

The Daiwa Luna 300 is also a good choice, Daiwa's answer to the Calcutta. I also had one of those and was impressed, slightly longer handle and the casting brakes are easy to get to due to the easy open sideplate. My only beef with the reel was the incredibly quiet clicker.