Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NIGHT STRIKES

Treble Hooks Question & Answer

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking for a little feed-back on Owner ST 66 4X Treble Hooks

I've always used VMC's on my plugs but was wondering if anybody out there prefers the Owners over the VMC's...

And if so,, why ?

Are they worth the extra cost ?

Are they that much more corrosion -resistant from saltwater ?

Do they weight more or less then VMC's ?

Are they stronger the the 4X VMC's ?

Thank you

Steve

Looking for a little feed-back on Owner ST 66 4X Treble Hooks

I've always used VMC's on my plugs but was wondering if anybody out there prefers the Owners over the VMC's...

And if so,, why ?

Are they worth the extra cost ?

Are they that much more corrosion -resistant from saltwater ?

Do they weight more or less then VMC's ?

Are they stronger the the 4X VMC's ?

Thank you

Steve

I have used the smaller sizes on some plugs, they're really sharp, hold a point, and don't open up.

This year I plan to try the ST-46s, one size lighter on the wire, better for bass plugs because they're not as heavy as the 66s. The 5/0 66s are MONSTERS.

The owners do not corrode nearly as fast as the vmcs due to the vaccum coated tin finish.

I believe they weigh slightly more, at least in 66

they're definitely stronger, that's why they're on Tuna plugs ;)

IMO, they're more comparable to a 6x vmc in both weight and wire diameter.

I would not recommend cutting them

(post corrected to ST-46, the 56s are the black 3x hooks, not the tinned 2x ones)

Those 4X Owners are darn tough, the points stay sharp for a long time and it seems you just can't bend or break them.  They are considerably heavier than the VMC 4X hooks, yes.  For striper lures I suggest a lighter Owner hook than the 4X, they're bit of overkill and will lessen the action a plug.  The VMC hooks offer a great value, I agree. I can't recall the model number but we rehooked some albie lures with 1X strong black Owner trebles and while they were wickedly sharp and tough they did corrode quickly, after just a week or so of being in the salt.

Those 4X Owners are darn tough, the points stay sharp for a long time and it seems you just can't bend or break them.  They are considerably heavier than the VMC 4X hooks, yes.  For striper lures I suggest a lighter Owner hook than the 4X, they're bit of overkill and will lessen the action a plug.  The VMC hooks offer a great value, I agree. I can't recall the model number but we rehooked some albie lures with 1X strong black Owner trebles and while they were wickedly sharp and tough they did corrode quickly, after just a week or so of being in the salt.

those black hooks are the ST-41s, I use them on my albie lures too, same comments there, sharp but corrode very fast.

Thanks guys,, I am looking maybe to try these on some Bombers and SP Minnows in the size 1/0..

:witty: same thing I want to use them for, I lost TONS of fish on the dinky #1 SP tail hooks this year

I was thinking 46 1/0 front and back or even a 2/0 on the belly

:witty: same thing I want to use them for, I lost TONS of fish on the dinky #1 SP tail hooks this year

I was thinking 46 1/0 front and back or even a 2/0 on the belly

I switched out those stock hooks on the SP's with 2/0 4X VMC's and I felt it still swam just as well and was very effective but I also lost some nice fish that I felt I just did not get a good hook-set on. I'm thinking that I need to put a sharper hook on them....