What's it worth?

Rate this topic

jbone

I bought a 25 year old boat/motor. The hull is in fine condition, as is the motor, and I can do nearly all of the maintenance myself. It's the perfect size for my uses, I paid about the same as I would for a 2 week vacation, but should provide my family weekends of fun for several years. I guess if your main concern is $$, there probably is no "value" in a boat like that. For me, it has a whole lot of value. Personally, I feel like buying a shiny new boat every few years that I barely or never use would have absolutely no value for me.

Talking boats and motors is an extremely subjective matter. To one person, a 12' jon boat is the perfect boat, and to someone else it's a 36' yellowfin. Some guys love their Yamahas, others love their Mercurys. No need to get your panties in a bunch just because everyone doesn't take your word as gospel. I live about 15 minutes from Southern Skimmer... I would love to have them build me a custom boat. But right now, something to chase drum and take the family and dogs to sun on a sand bar on the cheap was all I needed. And there's plenty of info on old boats/motors on THT.... it's not all king mackerel guys with $200k center consoles over there.

I bought a 25 year old boat/motor. The hull is in fine condition, as is the motor, and I can do nearly all of the maintenance myself. It's the perfect size for my uses, I paid about the same as I would for a 2 week vacation, but should provide my family weekends of fun for several years. I guess if your main concern is $$, there probably is no "value" in a boat like that. For me, it has a whole lot of value. Personally, I feel like buying a shiny new boat every few years that I barely or never use would have absolutely no value for me.

Talking boats and motors is an extremely subjective matter. To one person, a 12' jon boat is the perfect boat, and to someone else it's a 36' yellowfin. Some guys love their Yamahas, others love their Mercurys. No need to get your panties in a bunch just because everyone doesn't take your word as gospel. I live about 15 minutes from Southern Skimmer... I would love to have them build me a custom boat. But right now, something to chase drum and take the family and dogs to sun on a sand bar on the cheap was all I needed. And there's plenty of info on old boats/motors on THT.... it's not all king mackerel guys with $200k center consoles over there.

Well said:th:

it's not all king mackerel guys with $200k center consoles over there.

you mean its not all king mackerel guys with $200k center consoles with trip 300's that can do 80 knots in a 5 foot chop while *****

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Transom, Floor, electronics wiring, cables look at all this carefully its not just the motor. I dont recall seeing many 25+ year old boats that did not have problems with something. Your looking for soft spots, shake the motor while its trimmed up WATCH the transom flex. Easy enough to fix its just a lot of time going into it. Trailer included? Do you plan on pulling it? Tires, bearings shackles frames lights bunks/rollers. This is the stuff you need to look at to make sure your not in for a surprise later. Boats are not cheap and most of all a cheap boat is only usually cheap in initial cost. good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Having sold my used boat and bought a used boat in the past 2 months, this is my take: If I was selling, I'd ask $3500 and hope to get $3000. If I was buying, I'd hope to pay $2000, but would go as high as $2500. SO.... $2700-$2800 is my guess.

Many thanks for all the advice!! Sealion hit the nail on the head , 2700.00 we settled on. The trailer is a 2002 and the engine and fuel lines were recently rewired. Came with a cover, bimini top, and some electronics... oh, and it floats!

Thanks again for the heads up on things to look closely at. It's not perfect but it will get me on the water...

'Someday you'll discover that the door was always there, just someone F@%&ing locked it and took away the stairs"

• 1 year later...

Got her out on the bay for the first time last week! Took my Dad out for fathers day, we were pretty surprised to find this guy on the end of the line.......

Hit a bluefish float rig with squid around reef site 2:

Here is one of the boat:

'Someday you'll discover that the door was always there, just someone F@%&ing locked it and took away the stairs"

Good luck with it. As far as value, regardless of book value, find a mid range engine w good compression numbers from any year post 1980 for under $600.00. Book value may say $185 but just checking the list yesterday 4hp from Elden and Old Sears are over $185.00 and their not all "collectibel".

Wishing you tight lines on the new vessel. Enjoy it.