Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbone

What's it worth?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Assuming all is in good condition, I can't imaging more than that... it's 25+ years old.. worse yet, the motor is 25+ years old... check the NADA blue book online. it should give you a fair estimate

Hey Guys,

I'm not selling this boat, I am considering buying it from someone and wanted opinions on the ammount I should pay...

No sure of the exact numbers, was just told the compression was good. Going to confirm tomorrow morning when we inspect.

Thanks for the insight!

Also, makes me feel pretty good about it if someone here was interested, sorry for the confusion though.

Any tips or things to double check would be awesome...

Get It Surveyed If your interested. As far as price it's a buyer's market now a days there are several boats out there for sale & now isn't the greatest time to buy unless you have somewhere to store it without paying for storage.

I spent a good part of the last month searching for and pricing boats similar to that... 17' to 19' CCs with 50-90HP motors...all 20+ years old. A lot of people are asking $4k +... but the ones I saw get sold went more in the $2500-3500 range, depending on electronics, condition of hull, etc. For example, a 1989 19' C-Hawk with 1989 90HP Yamaha went for $3300 (new paint and floor). People seem hard pressed to let a boat go for less than $2000, unless there's a major problem and they label it a "project boat".

I've been following boat sales on craigslist for a long time now, knowing I'd be in the market eventually. I see a whole lot of 2 or 3 year old boats on the market that keep getting reposted week after week after week. Seems like older, more inexpensive boats get sold quicker. People still want to go boating, they just want to do it as cheaply as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the next month or so saw a lot of small boats change hands. Buyers with tax return cash buying boats from sellers with christmas expenses on the credit card.

dont know if you know about compression testing numbers. all cylinders must be within 10 percent of each other. i.e. cyl number 1- 97 lbs, cly 2- 103lbs, cyl 3- 95lbs = good engine. cyl 1- 97 lbs, cyl 2- 50 lbs, cyl 3 115lbs = bad engine. me personally i dont like to see an average under 105lbs for all cylinders but many people will dispute that and say that the average could be 90lbs and its still a good engine

I wouldn't pay anymore than 1K for a 25 year old little boat like that with a 25 year old engine. I don't care how don't care what shape it's in. Its value at this point is pretty much nothing.

A 1990 19CC Key West (Books don't go back to 1988) BB Value is $1540.00 so the value on a 1988 18ft is probably about 1K

A 1988 88HP Rude Value: $185.00

Just going by what the book value is. If someone wants to pay more than that for a 25 year old engine that's up to them as to how they spend their money

Its funny how dealers talk "book" when you trade-in and its way above book retail when it hits their sales lot. The theory of the greater fool is alive and well. Any boat, car or other non commodity item is worth what the buyer(s) are willing to pay.

Its funny how dealers talk "book" when you trade-in and its way above book retail when it hits their sales lot. The theory of the greater fool is alive and well. Any boat, car or other non commodity item is worth what the buyer(s) are willing to pay.

"BEST RIDING BOAT I'VE EVER HAD HERE! OUTBOARD IS SOLID! GREAT YEAR! RUNS LIKE A CLOCK!"

:p

Maybe the dealers you know. I don't sell 700+ boats a year blowing smoke up peoples rear ends. I go by book on boats coming in and going out. Would I sell that many boats selling above value? To be bluntly honest I wouldn't waste my time on a 18ft 25 year old boat with a 25 year old motor.

Sure a boat is worth what a buyers willing to pay for it..Unless you're financing..Then it's worth what BUC says it's worth. If you want to lay out more cash than a boat is worth I guess thats your decision. Decisions like that should keep you in a 25 year old boat for the rest of your life.

(*Edited - you can stay or you can go, but you don't need to continue to announce your leaving or why - thanks. TimS)