Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skinnywater

Fresh Maine Shrimp- get them while you can- SIM/Reed422 and everyone else

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

SIM/Reed422 I read the Shrimp talk and thought I would post this so Everyone would read it. This year is going to be a crap year for Maine shrimp. Season is going to close on Feb 28th I think, last year it closed the middle of April. Last year they set the catch limit at 13mil lbs this year around 4.5mil lbs I think. So with that being said get them while you can- but the prices are reflecting the short limit/season. For Head on shrimp I have seen them from $1.50lb to $2.00lb. And fresh cleaned for up to $8.99lb :shock: I never buy cleaned shrimp always heads on because I can clean them faster then most people can think :D plus the shells are good to have.

Skinny how much you charge for peeling services:)

When I was a young lad about 17 I worked for a week at a Shrimp meat factory here on the wharf. It really sucked but not as bad as the smell...:scuba: Some of these people could clean shrimp so fast it was crazy.

Shaw's this AM.......at 9:30 they still had nothing in the fish case (frigging slackers, never understood why it takes them so long since the fish counter is supposed to open at 8 AM :squid: ), but the sign behind it said the Maine shrimp was $6.99/lb.............that is head off, shell on.................

Can you make stock with the heads the same as you would the shells?

Yes.....in fact, the heads are better for stock than the shells. And that holds for any type shrimp.

Thanks , most of what we can get at good prices here has the heads on. I don't mind cleaning them, sometimes I even leave them on. Depends on what I'm making. I'll add the heads to the shells next pot of stock.

got a pound today=peeled (at 11 am I was in too late for the fresh head on!  Very popular in these parts)

Fra Diavolo in about an hour.

*Saw SIM's post, I got mine peeled at 6.99.  Fresh whole are 1.50.  Woo hoo

got a pound today=peeled (at 11 am I was in too late for the fresh head on!  Very popular in these parts)

Fra Diavolo in about an hour.

*Saw SIM's post, I got mine peeled at 6.99.  Fresh whole are 1.50.  Woo hoo

Yum. I picked some up today as well,decided to fry them up.

Today's fish market buy was; pollock, whole yellow tail snapper very small and maine shrimp peeled. I can't decide whether to put the shrimp in pasta or on top of a pizza. I'm eskerrd that if I put it on the pizza I won't taste the shrimp. Was gonna dump them on top the pizza with one minute left to go. Votes?